Stihl carbs

savitout541

Threads
I have a stihls fs 80 with a zama carb and was wondering if its a better deal to replace the carb with a new one instead of trying to rebuild it ?
Share your experiences with not just stihl equipment but others also, repair or replace?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You don't say what the problem is and how long it has been sitting. Because I can't see it, I have to assume that the unit is in good condition and just will not run properly. As a mechanic I would first try to rebuild it. Not hard to do and the kit costs around $16.00. If the carb has been sitting for awhile and you don't feel that you can clean all the small passage ways properly, then I would replace it, as the cost of the carb is around $30.00. Either way I would also replace the fuel and vent lines. If the carb needs work, so do the lines.

Exmark fan

Threads
From my experience. I would replace it. The success of a rebuilt carb is very low. And for $20 more and a lot less time spent. Swap it out

Parkmower

Threads
All boils down to cost with me. I don't mind doing the repair kit. But on some I've worked on the kit is like $80. Usually then I try on of my old carbs I have. I save carbs of everything. When something is getting pitched I take the carb and take it apart and clean it then possibly save it. I do this so I'm familiar with all kinda of carbs and have a few spares

thse

Threads
Really its better to buy a new carb, You know that it will run where a carb kit doens't always fix the problem. And by the time you spend your time to rebuild the old carb you have paid for a new carb.

savitout541

Threads
My dealer told me that stihl owns zama so most of the time there not that expensive

Exmark fan

Threads
And a lot of the time with Stihl. The carb kit is more expensive than the carb itself.