Steering me wrong

Coelacanth64

Threads
Folks,
My wife mows with a Cub Cadet LTX 1046VT. ( I get the old 1440!)
Well, recently the steering on her rig started to slip. The gears weren’t meshing.
I removed the deck and looked at the pinion and sector gears, and the pinion gear teeth looked a bit worn.
So, I replaced the pinion gear. Seemed all good. I tried it. The steering was exactly tight, but the was no slippage.
Well, she went to mulch leaves yesterday, and after about a half hour the steering was slipping again. Badly.

This am I pulled the deck again and had her turn the steering wheel while I watched the gears.
The new pinion gear now looks just as worn as the one I replaced. And, the gears, for the most part, were slipping past each other.
Now they almost never mesh. Bushing issue??

Thoughts?

Best,
Jack

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First you need to replace the 741-04237B bushing. Rotary 15513.

Forest#2

Threads
AND You have to keep a heads up about replacing them bushings. I've seen both the bronze and the plastic bushings be more than one size for the LT1046. (close but no cigar)
One size does not fit all. Make sure you use your EXACT complete Model number Cub Cadet parts list. I've seen what you describe and and a new bushing but the bushing was not the correct one. You also need to keep a heads up about the UP/Down shimming of the pinion gear. Shim for minimum up/down play.

Coelacanth64

Threads
New bushing all installed. Got it from my local mom and pop Cub Cadet dealer, not a big box store. I’ve dealt with them forever. Exact part. Fits perfectly. Their employee said they have a big demand for this item. The opening in the old part looked more oval than round!

7B83D0D9-BAB5-41CE-A0C2-C25465B99744.jpegLOL!!

Steering now back to normal.
Thanks ever so for the guidance.