stator output

Digiacomo

Threads
I have a 22 hp v twin briggs 4o7777, it has a electric pt , Ive checked the out put on the stator and I can't get any more than 24 volts out of it and only 12.5 out of the regulator...........the battery is holding at about 12.5 to 12.7 enough to keep it starting ......I have used the deck only once to cut my lawn after i put in two new spindles and bearings in the other ... along with three new blades........it is now sitting and covered up......

I'm reading that I should be getting a minimum of 31 volts ac out of the stator and up to 14 out of the regulator............

both are low numbers.............do I need to buy a 16 amp stator and new regulator ..........or will the stator salve the low output on the regulator ??

Bertrrr

Threads
The numbers you have read are about right, why are you checking out the voltage to start with ? Has your battery been goin down? I've never heard of a higher output stator or the need for one but someone on this site may have. Are you looking at the output with the machine revved up ? I know this makes a difference too.

Digiacomo

Threads
thanks a lot rivets, i'll check it out.........the battery is keeping up ok so far without running the pto, but if I decide I want to mow with it again I don't want the clutch pulling the power out of the battery.......

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Unless the PTO clutch is partially shorted otherwise the regulated voltage is fine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the flywheel and remove the stator
polish the posts it mounts on to make sure the stator is getting a good ground
Check the magnets they can come loose then slide together and this will also reduce the voltage

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Forgot to mention the readings are taken at full engine speed and not idle speed. Actual they were taken at 3600 rpm but several engine I have work are a little under per OEM specs.

And also just changing the stator if 10, 13 amp to a 16 amp will not help as they are the same stator most times and it is the flywheel with larger magnets that is needed. Now if you have a tri circuit and switch to 10,13,16 amp then you will gain some amperage but will also need a different voltage regulator.

Digiacomo

Threads
I haven't been under the fly wheel yet, I'll give it a look and a cleanup.......I think this machine spent some time in a colorado town that is used to at least a couple feet of snow all winter, probably uncovered.........thanks a lot for all the info.........

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Run it at full throttle with the pto engaged and measure the voltage at the battery. If Above 12.5 volts it's fine.

Digiacomo

Threads
.this morning I had to move it because i needed to do a little welding on a spring bracket on my snow blade.....I ended up starting it three or four times before I parked it again........I checked votage at the battery before I shut it down and the regulator wa putting out 14 volts.......so i guess all is well..........

I mounted a winch on the back end the other day....i'm going to winch it up on my trailer tomorrow with motor running and check to see what the regulator is putting to the battery......if it runs the winch I'm sure it won't have any problem with the power pt.......