Starting B&S on a bench.

silver1

Threads
Has anyone made a bench motor starter to help start older recoil start engines?
I would like to use a electric motor with belt to start older engines that on my bench.
Using the pulley that is on all the 2 - 3 Hp engines I have from mowers or edgers
Just hate to pull and pull and pull. Not good for the back!:frown:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you adjust valves per B&S specifications you will not have continuous pulling problem.

silver1

Threads
If you adjust valves per B&S specifications you will not have continuous pulling problem.

These engines are dis-assembled, (Carb. tank and head) cleaned, painted and assembled. They are dry and it takes a few pulls get anything.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the plug and then you can spin the engine with a socket on a drill .
This will be enough to get the oil happening and fuel pump primed.
Pop an old plug into the engine but only just finger tight and reeat, this will sort out carby & rings enough to start.
You can also prime & test the carb by blowing across the venturi with an air line, high volume low pressure.
I bench test carbs with air all the time, pop a piece of clean paper towel behind them and you can see the fuel wetting it.

BigNutz

Threads
I've heard of guys cutting the female end of a 3-4 inch socket extension off, then fit a socket on that fits the flywheel nut. Attach the cut end into an electric drill and viola', you have an electric starter. This guy has a video on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL2X9pCwZRE

RoperGuy

Threads
With your original concept there I'm pretty shur you would first need to install a larger engine pulley on evey engine you test? Witch seems impractical. Compare your starter spur gear and the flywheel, pretty geared down, now compare the flywheel to most engine pulleys, you need more power

RoperGuy

Threads
If you had a 3 hp engine that ran Perhaps make a stand add a belt and a hand operated clutch? Might be over kill lol

cashman

Threads
The neatest thing for starting engines I've ever seen was used at the Briggs and Stratton Burliegh Plant at the end of the assembly line before the engines went into the paint oven. It was an electric motor driven wheel about 16" in dia, with a slot for the starter handle mounted about a foot from the starter. It would rotate for horizontal or vertical shaft engines. They started all the engines before they went through the oven. The worker would mount the engine in a fixture, then pull out the starter rope and place the handle in the slot on the outside edge of the wheel. He would then operate the wheel with a foot controlled pedal. The wheel probably turned about 60 RPM letting the starter rope go in and out of the starter and starting the engine.

silver1

Threads
Has anyone made a bench motor starter to help start older recoil start engines?
I would like to use a electric motor with belt to start older engines that on my bench.
Using the pulley that is on all the 2 - 3 Hp engines I have from mowers or edgers
Just hate to pull and pull and pull. Not good for the back!:frown:

My back really does hurt after yanking on the cord! I have a bulge between L4/L5. It has been almost a
year now since the start of this crap. Even surgery did not help to much.

Maybe I can get a old kick start to work! SPRING is here, grass will not wait much longer. Time to try to
start the LawnBoy.