Starting a Power Washer after a 10 year storage, what to do?

oldgearhead

Threads
  • / Starting a Power Washer after a 10 year storage, what to do?
One of my neighbors was giving away the following Craftsman Power Washer:
Model: 580.752342
S/N: 1013704940
Briggs and Stratton 4.5 HP
Model: 10H902
Type: 0113E1
Code: 06040754

She indicated the last time she used it was approximately 10 years ago and only for a few hours. She never did anything after putting it away. The gas has long evaporated and there is oil in the crank case. It would appear she was telling me the truth, the air filter was "clean", plug looked "new".

I have found manuals and parts for getting this up and running. My question relates to what in your opinion should I be doing to start this long stored piece of equipment? The engine - oil, gas, filters, plug (on my list of things to change) - anything else I should be aware of before trying to start?

What about the power washer pump? What should I be doing prior to attaching a hose and using?

Thanks for you help/suggestions on getting this relic useable.

Last edited:

DHook

Threads
Here's a video describing how to safely store a pressure washer. I know that's not what you're asking about but it does give a good explanation on the pump itself and what to expect when restarting after storage.

So I guess what you're trying to determine is what steps, if any, were taken when it was put into storage. Was it stored in a garage that maybe had enough insulation to keep it from freezing?

Looks like you already have all the info on the engine. I would check the tank for any debris before filling but with such low hours I doubt you'd have any problems with the fuel system.

If the pump wasn't drained and it sat in freezing temps you might expect a cracked pump case. If you're lucky, the water left in the pump may have evaporated before it had a chance to freeze. But it's a pretty closed system so not sure the water would've had a chance to evaporate. Before starting I'd buy a bottle of that lubricant they show (or something similar) and cycle a it through the pump to maybe loosen the seals and lubricate any moving parts. Maybe a couple bottles? Pull it through like shown in the video and maybe let it sit in the pump for awhile while changing the oil and checking the fuel system. (Or maybe overnight?)

Please post up an update with your results. This sounds like an interesting project. And besides, it was free!

oldgearhead

Threads
Update after working on this the past week. Engine: change oil, air filter and plug. I primed and it started on second pull with no smoke and idles without issue. Amazing.

I did what you recommenced on the pump. The pump does work, BUT, it blew of one of the plastic bolts of which I could not find a replacement number or parts. Pump has long been discontinued. So I ordered a new pump and will be putting it together as soon as I receive it sometime next week.

oldgearhead

Threads
FINAL UPDATE
I replaced the power washer with an OEM pump (decided against the much cheaper non-OEM pumps), checked and lubed all o-rings (one was bad) cleaned carb as it was "hunting" occasionally. Pump literally took maybe 15 minutes to change, exact bolt on.

I started it up (again started on second pull) and it is working great, totally amazed by how well the engine runs and the power washer functions.