Starting a new business

BrownEyes1220

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, I am new here and thought I would go to the experts with this question.
A friend of mine is starting a lawn maintenance business and will be doing both large properties and smaller yards. He will be eventually be purchasing a self propelled walk behind mower for trimming around bushes and tight areas. But for now wants to know what is the optimal size mower deck for zero turn radious for a lawn maintenance business. A large 60", or 54" or 48" if you could only buy one right now what would you suggest?

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi everyone, I am new here and thought I would go to the experts with this question.
A friend of mine is starting a lawn maintenance business and will be doing both large properties and smaller yards. He will be eventually be purchasing a self propelled walk behind mower for trimming around bushes and tight areas. But for now wants to know what is the optimal size mower deck for zero turn radious for a lawn maintenance business. A large 60", or 54" or 48" if you could only buy one right now what would you suggest?
If I were going to mow commercially I would stick with a 54" or 48" deck(many yards homeowners want cut professionally don't need a humongous 60" deck and gates can be a problem).

D

DJlawnboy

If I were going to mow commercially I would stick with a 54" or 48" deck(many yards homeowners want cut professionally don't need a humongous 60" deck and gates can be a problem).

This.

BrownEyes1220

Forum Newbie
Threads
A couple more questions if you lawn experts don't mind.
My friend also would like to know, typically how do you price for just cutting grass? By the time it takes or by the size of the lot? What is the going rate for just cutting grass based on size or time? Do you charge a bit more per service for a lawn that is cut only once or twice a month rather then a lawn that is cut four times a month due to wear and tear on equipment and length of grass?

And do you typically have a set rate for add on's like trimming shrubs, weeding flower beds, and removing clippings, and leaves?

My friend is looking for what is typical among lawn care professionals.

Thank you

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
First, price per mow, not that monthly stuff, if you do monthly, price it for 4 times a month.

I would just do mowing/trim only, if you wish to dabble in extra, which if you are doing well, you won't have time for unless there is a drought. Refer them to a partner, or at least give them a different business card, or you will be pulling your hair out.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

I use a 48" ZTR and 36" Stander combination. That way I can cover the larger lots using both mowers and smaller lots with the 36" and not have a gate problem as djdicetn already commented on. A self propelled walk behind is nice for the smaller places but a good trimmer around shrubs or bushes works best.

My friend also would like to know, typically how do you price for just cutting grass? By the time it takes or by the size of the lot? What is the going rate for just cutting grass based on size or time? Do you charge a bit more per service for a lawn that is cut only once or twice a month rather then a lawn that is cut four times a month due to wear and tear on equipment and length of grass?

And do you typically have a set rate for add on's like trimming shrubs, weeding flower beds, and removing clippings, and leaves?

Thank you

There are a number of things to take in to consideration when you do an estimate on a lawn. Size of the property, number of flower beds and trees to be edged, fence lines, driveways and sidewalks to be trimmed and so on. The typical lawn job consist of mowing, trimming, edging and blowing off everything, (time wise 20 to 30 minutes per job) Trimming trees, shrubs, cleaning out flower beds and so on you should charge extra. Charge by the cut and bill by the month has always worked best for me. Personally I stay away from Bi-weekly cuts because unless you charge twice the rate your losing money.
As far as what your going to charge you need to figure out your overhead or what it cost to run the company or business, Equipment cost , gas, oil parts etc for mowing equipment and your vehicle then add your time and labor and charge accordingly. I personally have Lawns with starting prices of $15 to $40 a cut depending on what is involved.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, well climate/weather is always a concern, as well as the competition, and their wages/meaning immigrant labor, etc. Not popular to talk about, but more than relevant to this discussion and reality.... So you need to go there, even though it is not popular....

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, well climate/weather is always a concern, as well as the competition, and their wages/meaning immigrant labor, etc. Not popular to talk about, but more than relevant to this discussion and reality.... So you need to go there, even though it is not popular....

I fail to see where the climate/weather, competition, and their wages and immigrant labor force are a concern. I don't have any control over any of that so why would I have a concern?

LazerZLandscaping

Threads

If I were to buy right now, for a ZT, I would use between 48-60" deck. For a mower I would get an Exmark Lazer Z. I have four of them, (three in current use, one is a project). They are very dependable machines.

Hope your friend has good luck in the landscaping business. What kind of push mower is your friend interested in?

LazerZLandscaping

Threads

Thank you

I charge cutting grass by acre. Some prices I can charge are as low as $15/acre, and I've done lawns as high as $105/acre, but my rate is $15/acre. By the size of lot and an additional $10/hour for if it takes longer than an hour. Your friend should set a price that is comfortable for him, and at the same time doing it not for too low and not for too high. Your friend should also make the decision for cutting grass based on size/time. Again, my going rate is done by acre. I don't charge more for service if the lawn is cut a couple times a month.

I don't remove the clippings, they are a natural fertilizer. I do have rates for trimming shrubs, weeding, and an additional $5/acre for leaf pickup in the fall.