Starter problem rzt 50 183649 17ba5a7p712

Hubba

Threads
I have an rzt 50 That will only start if I cross the solenoid over, I have changed the solenoid and key switch to no avail. I now suspect that the problem could be a safety switch.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Starter trigger circuit runs through lap bar switches (both must good), the PTO switch, and the brake switch. In order for the mower to start normal both lap must in neutral (outboard) position, PTO switch in off position, and parking brake set (on). Either one these four switch can cause a no start problem.
1688074288401.png

Hubba

Threads
Thanks for the info but I am lost, It didn't help much, I know I am a dummy, old dummy at that.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most laymen are lost when it comes to electrical and electronics. This is why I post which switches that were involved. I kinda would lay odds on it being one of the lap bar switches.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe that mower uses the 725-04232 switch for the brake. The switch snaps into a cutout and is non adjustable and the switch is fairly expensive. They are prone to not having the plunger pushed in far enough when the brake is applied. Wiggle the brake lever and see if it starts. If it does you need to modify the switch. The switch is a PITA to get to.

There are different versions of the RZT50. Some use a 2 pole brake switch and some use a 3 pole brake switch.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I believe that mower uses the 725-04232 switch for the brake. The switch snaps into a cutout and is non adjustable and the switch is fairly expensive. They are prone to not having the plunger pushed in far enough when the brake is applied. Wiggle the brake lever and see if it starts. If it does you need to modify the switch. The switch is a PITA to get to.

There are different versions of the RZT50. Some use a 2 pole brake switch and some use a 3 pole brake switch.
Then neither of the two service manuals I have here cover the 3 pole brake switch.

Now I have ran across that 3 pole on a LTX1040 that had fire damage.

The 725-04232 is a Delta 6300-004 switch but no one seems to have it under this part number. Nor does anyone is selling the connector housing 972367 or at least I have not found it yet. Just forcing us into higher prices for the parts.

Now the 725-04232 is available from Dixie Chopper under PN 500130 for about half the price.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have had one troy bilt and one cub cadet (same mower different color) with the 3 pole switch that needed to have a small screw added to the plunger. I service another cub cadet that looks identical that uses the 2 pole switch. Look under troy bilt RZT50 and see if a diagram shows the 3 pole switch.
Gotta love MTD.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes MTD is a pain with the wiring diagrams. And now they a screwing up in their service manuals apparently. Plus the 13APA1CT056 IPL doesn't even show the correct switch even the wiring diagram shows the 3 pole switch.

Hubba

Threads
How do I get to that switch? In the meantime, I will try to find it on youtube.