Starter drive not spinning engine over

Slowcut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Guys
I have a 23hp Kawasaki FR691V on a Cub Cadet 50" RZT.
The starter runs the drive engages but will not spin the engine over. There's a rubber disk ( I believe the parts list calls it a seal) that actuality seems to turn the starter gear.
I can remove the starter drive clean the rubber disk and the starter will work a few times then it stops turning the drive.
I have adjusted the valves to .004 checked them two times to make sure they were adjusted correctly but still the same problem.
If the battery is 110% charged it does seem to help at times but does not cure the problem.
I have worn out the starter switch from clicking and clicking trying to get it to engage, my engine shroud bolts are going to get worn completely from removing the shroud so many times, plus I'm wearing out the starter.
I have thought about replacing the rubber washer, but mine looks like new and cannot find any problems with the drive.
I've read through everything I can find and do not find anyone with this problem.
if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone can tell me the proper way to remove the starter drive on this starter it would be a big help.
Thanks for reading, Bruce

Slowcut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mark, I needed a service manual for it

DunDikke

Threads
If this only happens at a cold start, then it is possible that the carburetor overflows. Then there is gasoline above the piston and engine can not turn over. Check the oil level. Iff the carburetor overflows oil level will be high.

Hope this helps

Slowcut

Forum Newbie
Threads
No it happens at different times cold or hot doesn't seem to matter. The motor cranks great and runs great. You just have to spin it and it's running.

Slowcut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Guys
I have a 23hp Kawasaki FR691V on a Cub Cadet 50" RZT.
The starter runs the drive engages but will not spin the engine over. There's a rubber disk ( I believe the parts list calls it a seal) that actuality seems to turn the starter gear.
I can remove the starter drive clean the rubber disk and the starter will work a few times then it stops turning the drive.
I have adjusted the valves to .004 checked them two times to make sure they were adjusted correctly but still the same problem.
If the battery is 110% charged it does seem to help at times but does not cure the problem.
I have worn out the starter switch from clicking and clicking trying to get it to engage, my engine shroud bolts are going to get worn completely from removing the shroud so many times, plus I'm wearing out the starter.
I have thought about replacing the rubber washer, but mine looks like new and cannot find any problems with the drive.
I've read through everything I can find and do not find anyone with this problem.
if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone can tell me the proper way to remove the starter drive on this starter it would be a big help.
Thanks for reading, Bruce

Just an update. I have went back and re-adjusted the valves closer to the minimum than the max. So far it's spinning over and starting, time will tell for sure if that was the problem.