Standing mower

stuckinnj

Threads
As an owner of one of the CC 33" walk behinds, they are not as easy to manuver as a commercial mower. The drive is via a open differential, therefore, you must use 'body english' to turn it. Commercial mowers have a drive at each rear wheel. Turning is like a tracked vehicle, you stop or reduce the drive in one side and the mower will turn almost by itself. It takes a bit to get used to.

Now back to the 33", if you are\mowing flat ground it works pretty well. I stripe my yard which I've landscaped w/flower gardens. It can be a workout mowing around the trees and gardens. I've used an Exmark 48" to do the same yard and it is not only faster, when you're done, your arms are not tired from fighting the machine around turns.

FYI - all the 33" are MTD regardless of who's brand is on it. Troy Built, Sears, Cub Cadet etc.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
As an owner of one of the CC 33" walk behinds, they are not as easy to manuver as a commercial mower. The drive is via a open differential, therefore, you must use 'body english' to turn it. Commercial mowers have a drive at each rear wheel. Turning is like a tracked vehicle, you stop or reduce the drive in one side and the mower will turn almost by itself. It takes a bit to get used to.

Now back to the 33", if you are\mowing flat ground it works pretty well. I stripe my yard which I've landscaped w/flower gardens. It can be a workout mowing around the trees and gardens. I've used an Exmark 48" to do the same yard and it is not only faster, when you're done, your arms are not tired from fighting the machine around turns.

. Troy Built, Sears, Cub Cadet etc.

Too begin, not all commercial mowers have a drive at each rear wheel, only the Hydrostatic drive models have separate drives for each wheel and the cost is some where in the 5k to 7k price range and IMO you can't really compare a Exmark 48 commercial to the Cub Cadet CC 760 .
Gear driven walk behinds use a Peerless 5 speed gear box and are belt driven, not hydros and use a Band on drum brakes and applying brake pressure to either wheel separately or together is how you maneuver or stop the mower

FYI - Not all the 33" mowers are MTD regardless of who's brand is on it, possibly those made by and are in the MTD family of brands which includes Cub Cadet, Cub Cadet Commercial, Cub Cadet Yanmar, Troy-Bilt, White Outdoor, Yard-Man, Yard Machines, Bolens, Arnold, GardenWay, MTD Pro and MTD Gold. Some of those products can be found in all channels of distribution such as home improvement stores, hardware stores, mass retailers, independent dealers and farm supply stores although you will not find the higher end Cub Cadets, Cub Cadet Commercial, Cub Cadet Yanmar at those places.

Last edited:

Bethieboo

Threads
Wow, such great information here. I have looked at all of my different options and I think that I will go with the dolly that attaches to the mower. In my search for that I have found some other kinds of attachments as well. There is so much more in the world of mowing than I knew about.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used a model by Gravely 25 years ago that would tow you walking or standing. The unit that was for sitting was refered to as a sulky. The one you stood on had no suspension and I found it was tough on the back. The mower was a direct drive (no belts) with the blade in front of the engine. The mower itself ony had 2 wheels and considerable power, although I don't know what the HP was.
I prefered the sulky. It was a little dangerous in that if you went through a depression while turning the handle could pin your thigh to the seat as it was comming down while you were going up.
The machine was built like a tank compared to todays standards. Always seemed a little dangerous to me, but none the less fun to drive.