Standing mower

Bethieboo

Threads
I know there are riding mowers and push mowers. But is there a mower like a lawnmower only you stand up and do not sit down? My knees have been killing me and if they stay bent it hurts more than if I stand for awhile.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Many of the self propelled commercial mowers have little dollies that hitch to the back just for that purpose ...
They work great and are a lot handier than a rider in that if you need to move something out of your path you can just step off and get it done and back quickly back on to continue... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know there are riding mowers and push mowers. But is there a mower like a lawnmower only you stand up and do not sit down? My knees have been killing me and if they stay bent it hurts more than if I stand for awhile.

Yes there is and they are called a walk behind mowers Walk Behind Mowers by Cub Cadet Commercial with a set of these The Jungle Wheels manufactured by Jungle Jim's Accessory Products That's just one example and different company's make other versions, if this is what you're asking about? You can check out the Jungle Jim site, they have a real short video and the site can explain it better than I can.

Last edited:

Stopper

Threads
Interestingly enough I have a friend who has one of these walk behind mowers for the same reason. He can not sit for more than 10 min with out his knees getting all crunk. Club Cadet is a great option for this.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
There are a couple of company's that also make a version called a stander, Toro and Wright are the ones that come to mind. With these versions you do not need a sulky or a set of wheels. Toro GrandStand Commercial Stand-on Mower
Keep something in mind when your talking about a walk behind mower they're two different types, a Gear driven and a Hydrostatic drive and depending on your situation and how much mowing you're doing and it's location one could be better than the other. Most gear driven mowers are 5 speed forward with a reverse and the reverse is operator assist which can make using of a sulky or wheels a little weird. Hydrostatic on the other hand although costing considerably more operate the same as zero turn mower and most all company's offer both types or versions depending on or for your particular application.
Check out the Toro link, they have an excellent video on there Grandstand mower.

Last edited:

pokeytwins

Threads
I appears most companies are joining the "stander" ranks:
Scag
Exmark
Wright (first and probably the best)
toro
great dane

Wright makes a sentar which has a folding seat, or you can stand or walk behind

Russell

cren

Threads
I wont lie, I feel a little dumb here. Who makes these, how long have they been around for and what do they cost? I guess I don't know nearly enough when it comes to mowers compared to the rest of the gang.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Who makes these, how long have they been around for and what do they cost?

They are typically made by the better manufactures and usually used in commercial mowing operations...
They are FAST, very maneuverable and DEPENDABLE...
They have been around for a long time but not normally a home owner type of purchase, they are rather costly to purchase BUT they last for thousands of hours... so actually they (in the long run) are very affordable.
Definitely a commercial line of mowing machine.... :smile:KennyV

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I wont lie, I feel a little dumb here. Who makes these, how long have they been around for and what do they cost? I guess I don't know nearly enough when it comes to mowers compared to the rest of the gang.

I don't know why they would say it's definitely a commercial line mowing machine because they're not.The wide area Walk Behinds have been in use for a while and there are some of the company's that offer home owner models, like the Cub Cadet CC 760, a 33" deck with I believe a 12.5 hp B&S motor 2009 Cub Cadet CC-760ES Information Pasco Turf & Tractor LLC They work and drive the same as the commercial mowers but are considerably cheaper.

Last edited:

Ross

Threads
I think I would go with the Cub Cadet model. They're typically very dependable. But I have to admit also, that I didn't know this type of mower was even made.