Stalling Briggs & Stratton B&S 158cc

wtc101

Threads
Re: Stalling Briggs & Stratton B&S 158 cc stalls (eng # 10T502 0457 B1 09072054)

Two weeks ago I replaced the diaphragm and gasket (leaking fuel). Otherwise the engine ran strong. Following the replacement the engine now stalsl with in 2 seconds. Must keep priming. Notice the air vane and governor moving back and forth until stall. If I hold the air vane 'open" the engine will run. Today, I installed a new carburetor #795477 but no change. Can anyone tell me if I might have screwed up the governor spring or air vane?? HELP PLEASE

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Read your operators manual especially pages 8 & 9 regarding engine, adjust valves: Engine Cold per specs.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Simple things 1st.
You said it ran strong before you did the carb.
Did you fit the diaphragm and gasket the correct way?
Diaphragm on tank then gasket next to carb.
If its wrong it does give symptoms you are getting.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also check that long induction tube they get somewhat brittle and seem to crack at the slighest provocation.

PUSH

Threads

wtc101

Threads
Simple things 1st.
You said it ran strong before you did the carb.
Did you fit the diaphragm and gasket the correct way?
Diaphragm on tank then gasket next to carb.
If its wrong it does give symptoms you are getting.

All was installed correctly...thank you

wtc101

Threads
Also check that long induction tube they get somewhat brittle and seem to crack at the slighest provocation.

Both the new and old tubes appeared in good condition...thanks

wtc101

Threads
I have nearly the same model and was having similar trouble.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/briggs-stratton-forum/35996-craftsman-550-simple-carb-fix-thanks.html

after changing the diaphragm, cleaning the air filter , cleaning the carb , gas tank + all the screens on the carb - changing the spark plug

I found I had the throttle was stuck in the wrong position. it was a simple fix I overlooked.

PUsh

Can you explain what you mean when you say the throttle was in the wrong position? Keep in mind I replaced the carb. So I am wondering if I screwed up the governor or air vane (throttle)??

PUSH

Threads
Can you explain what you mean when you say the throttle was in the wrong position? Keep in mind I replaced the carb. So I am wondering if I screwed up the governor or air vane (throttle)??

oh sorry man - I wasnt aware you responded until now.

pictures might be better to explain:

throttle incorrect postion:
see how the boom a rang shaped throttle has slipped past the governor block.. it's past the block to the right.. it has to be behind that stop block to work properly:
throttle incorrect position.JPG

now here it is in the correct position behind the block:
throttle correct position.jpg

I also removed my carb and when i put it back together is when I finally noticed this after looking at some other pictures of the carb installed online.
hope this helps.. it's all that was wrong with mine.
PUsh