Sport 42 inch mulching kit

mmuehlba

Threads
well I got my sport back from the dealer and this tine it had the mulching blades , when first delivered it just had the regular blades with the end cap on and I was told that is how they are , cut once and just left a line of grass .
Complained and they picked it up . came back with the mulching blades but no deflectors on the inside again I think there is some thing missing all rain so can not try .
The parts manual is also no help . So is this all I get is an end cap and some squiggly blades for the $120.00 mulching kit ?? and will it even work ?? any Ideas ?/ Mike Lannon WI .

the sports was new off the show room floor but I think it was old as no row bar or rear bumper . but came in at $3100 with a mulching kit ,set up and delivered . had to wait 4 days because they had to order the mulching kit . model # 929125 serial # 09021228

DJ660

Threads
There should a divider under the deck. Its part of the kit, along with blades and endcap. Divider part# 113357 Black in color. And from the looks of it, with an 09**** serial number it was made in 09'

mmuehlba

Threads
well I hope I get this straightened out no calls from the dealer and we have a lot of rain so will have to wait but looks like they tried it before sending back and the grass looks like it is making its own divider , and if it is a 2009 well I wonder if they registered it for my warranty ?? I was told it was last years model . so it looks like another day on the phone? I will put some pics of the sales slip and the home made grass divider . should put back in the air and take pics with the clipping removed . so any more info just post , Thanks Mike

1200numbers 03473.jpg

1200grass divider 3483.jpg

1200A sales slip.jpg

mmuehlba

Threads
well cut twice and it leaves big tire tracks still waiting for divider plate but I think there are other issues , is there been changes to the deck since this is a 2009 I just bought . Any ideas it has the mulching blades on now but I do thing this tire issue is a big deal even though it is just my yard I do not think it is correct I know it weighs a lot . HELP . Mike

1000DSC03495.jpg

1000DSC03496.jpg

1000DSC03497.jpg

1000DSC03499.jpg

1000DSC03500.jpg

1000DSC03502.jpg

1000DSC03504.jpg

Jehelam

Threads
This thread may be helpful. There's a description near the end on how to tell if your deck should have the baffle or not.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=326666

On a side note, I've been using the mulching kit on my 48" for a couple years and am now giving up on it. I remember being pretty happy with it when I first got it, but I think it was late summer, so dry grass, and the deck was still pretty new. Mulching works well if grass is dry and don't cut too much off. In spring, with lots of rain and rapid growth, and perhaps now that the paint under my deck has worn off, the grass just sticks like crazy, cakes up, and falls out in big clumps whenever I stop or make a turn. Trying to go over the clumps again doesn't help because it just picks them up and drops them when I stop or turn again. I've gone back to side-discharge and think that's the way to go. The clippings are a bit longer, but still disappear by the next day. Discharging with the chute does leave windrows, so I do have to go over the rows again with the chute up to dispers them well enough.

Regarding the tire tracks, that looks normal. The grass will bounce back from being compressed by the tires, but the longer the grass the longer it takes. Hard to tell from the pics, but that seems like a pretty high cutting height. I like to keep it 2.5" to 3".

mmuehlba

Threads
well got the plate installed but is is in up side down .all the grass just sits on the ledge since the top in on the bottom , just leaves big droppings / clumps of grass . Now I am thinking that since this is a 2009 it might have issues and they redid the deck as I think there has some thing about that . so am I getting a bad cut because hustler made a bad unit and change it because of what grass look like , was there a recall on 2009 sports ?? some thing is making me think I bought a bag of worms! Mike

1000Copy of L1670496.jpg

here is the print that the seller sent mt to prove it was installed correct , as I see it it should be bolted to the top of the deck , they drilled new holes in the face and bolted it to the side not the top . will have more to deal with Monday .

cropped scan0001.jpg

I might have been a little hard on the dealer in the last email when I ask him when it would not fit right and they had to redrill the divider why a light bulb did not go off and relook at the print .

1000Copy of L1670492.jpg

this is what makes me think I got a recalled mower/ deck that just did not perform correctly so they redesigned the deck and that is why the factory part does not fit ?? Mike

Jehelam

Threads
No, It's not upside down. That looks installed as best as can be. The bolt lines in the diagram can be a little confusing because it's going up and over to the front lip, but it's not going through the top of the deck. The bolts #8, which you have hanging down from the front end of the baffle, are supposed to go through a lip at the bottom front edge of the deck, which you don't have (presumably because you have the prior generation deck design), so they made it work by drilling holes and bolting to the front.

mmuehlba

Threads
Hi all well installed the only way just does not work and yes it does not work , for some reason there are cutting issues with this hustler sport , they all get good reviews but mine for sure does not still looks like my grandsons ran around the yard with a go cart there are so many tire tracks . and now that that divider plate is installed well the shelf fills up with clippings and yes when that area fills up they drop down in big clumps , the other issue is the top of the deck so full with clippings they also just drop off when you turn . A lot of issues and I only cut about an acre if that of grass and with all the trees and other things in the yard the engine runs full speed and I go slow , the acre take me a little over 2 hours so not just flying around the yard . so is the issue I got stuck with an out dated deck that had to be change because of all the issues , also should have never been told that a mulching kit would work on a two blade deck . as usual a few pics that help explain my situation . would the factory tell me if there was a recall or problems that they changed the decks?? Mike

1000cought in corrner 516.jpg

I would think as big as hustler they did not run into this problem or they think every one should just put up with it or buy another one . I even have been cutting the lawn way lower then with my toro recycler deck and buy the way they have a lot of dividers/ beakers on each side like 3 per blade . mu old mower was a HXL 15 38 inch recycler . and it worked great and when done my yard looked groomed now it looks hacked up .

cought on deck 525.jpg

well now when your looking at $3800 mowers and find one for $2700 and they say well the only difference is it is last years model just no roll bar I should have looked a while longer or at different dealers ?? so any one have Hustlers phone number ?? Mike

DJ660

Threads
Just asking here, But how did it cut before the mulch kit? Is the deck level and how is it pitched (Front to Back) Is the engine running at 3600 Rpm's

DJ660

Threads
The only difference I see with the decks is model yr 10 and older there were 2 versions of the 42" deck. A swept forward deck and a swept back deck. Swept meaning is the discharge blade ahead or behind trimside blade. Late 10' and newer are swept back. I see yours is a swept forward design. Is there an advantage to either, Im not sure. But, they usually change things for a reason. Mulch kit part # same for both decks. All the grass blowing out and laying on top of deck tell me that either the deck is pitched wrong or the mulching blades have to much lift. Look at the fin on the toro tractor you have. That blade is almost flat. no lift at all.