Southern clay soil. ugh.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Either way there is not a simple lazy solution. It will take lots of work to get the soil to where it needs to be.

I had good garden but my mother's husband decided that those cotton seed hulls from the gin was needed. He ruin the soil texture. Yes the first year was great but the years afterward were horrible. It took me over five years to restore the soil to where I had it before. Lots of leaves and peak moss along other additives was needed and definitely wasn't cheap to fix it. And he would not spend a penny to help me either.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Cotton seed hulls do make a excellent mulch , but only if you don't have free ranging chickens . Why ? Because a chicken can scatter a half bushel just looking for 1 little yellow speck of corn that has gotten into it at the feed mill .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I had problem I had was with the stuff from the gin. It contains cotton fibers and it combine with the Alabama Red Clay and became abode bricks after the first year.

And another problem with free range chickens here is they like my tomatoes better than I do.

RayMcD

Threads
One has to wonder, around here the first thing that happens when getting a site ready to build is they remove all the top soil, then after the build they bring in sod and plop it on the hard red soil and wonder why it does not grow. Test all you want to, it is hopeless, Ya got to love it.....r

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One has to wonder, around here the first thing that happens when getting a site ready to build is they remove all the top soil, then after the build they bring in sod and plop it on the hard red soil and wonder why it does not grow. Test all you want to, it is hopeless, Ya got to love it.....r
The garden shops now sell "Lawn Underlay" which is basically the fines from timber shredding , probably with a bit of urea to over come the nitrogen requirements of the wood breaking down
Th down side of this is if there are any mushroom spores around you get a wonderful crop, of fatal mushrooms.
Funny aside, despite having all sorts of things with lots of venom , more people die every year from eating death cap mushrooms than all of the bites combined
For a lot of people just putting it in their mouth can cause death . it is very toxic .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert, There you go with everything in Aussie land is out to kill you comments...Gee how have you survived this long Bert?

But seriously everyone does need to careful (using common sense) about things. Of course you just don't go out and eat the wild mushrooms. Even experts screw up and get the wrong ones at times. And you got respect things like snakes until you know they are harmless which here luckily is most of them. But play it safe until you know better.