Son hit a stump, now I get nothing when I try to start it up.

ds211

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Son hit a stump, now I get nothing when I try to start it up.
Hi,

My son hit a short stump this weekend on our Troybilt 42in Pony. It stopped the blades and shut the mower down. Now when I try to start it I get nothing, no clicking from from the starter, no hint of the engine trying to turn. The only thing I can compare it to is when you try to start it with the PTO engaged and you get the same "nothing". Is it possible that there's a PTO safety switch somewhere that was damaged or that it stretched the cable out too much (it does seem like there's a little more play when the lever is in the disengaged position)? Please tell me that he didn't wreck the engine!

Thank you,

Dustin

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
ds, I'm sure you will get help on this...but have you looked to see if a blade is bent or debris is locking up the engine? Once it turns again you may have to look at the flywheel key.

ds211

Forum Newbie
Threads
ds, I'm sure you will get help on this...but have you looked to see if a blade is bent or debris is locking up the engine? Once it turns again you may have to look at the flywheel key.

Yes, one blade was bent. I could move both with my hands (although the bent one had more resistance than the other). I removed the bent one just in case it would not clear anything. Still no luck getting it turn turn over.

Thanks!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok when you engage the blades the handle moves a safety switch. When you move the lever to off it should push on the switch. Follow the lever down and you will find the switch. If it did not come unplugged or cut a wire. You can just bend it so it will make contact with the pto lever.

ds211

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok when you engage the blades the handle moves a safety switch. When you move the lever to off it should push on the switch. Follow the lever down and you will find the switch. If it did not come unplugged or cut a wire. You can just bend it so it will make contact with the pto lever.

Thanks, I'll try this tonight.

Dustin

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also check 20 amp in line fuse between starter and solenoid and see if it is blown.

ds211

Forum Newbie
Threads
Flywheel key is broken and or pto clutch key is broken.

So I checked the solenoid, PTO and brake safety switches and the 20amp fuse. All are good. My question now is, if it were the flywheel key or PTO clutch key, wouldn't the engine still try to turn over? I get nothing at all, like trying to start it with no battery hooked up (and yes the battery is good).

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
So I checked the solenoid, PTO and brake safety switches and the 20amp fuse. All are good. My question now is, if it were the flywheel key or PTO clutch key, wouldn't the engine still try to turn over? I get nothing at all, like trying to start it with no battery hooked up (and yes the battery is good).
Hit stump, mower stopped dead, now can't start
I have posted possibilities, take your time inspecting all electrical connections, hands on, battery, ignition switch harness backside of dash, checking to make sure everything is tight and secure.

Professional Shop Manuals

How to fix a mower that hit something and now won't start anymore - YouTube

Last edited: