Some help from owners of ZTR's

gogojuice

Threads
Thanks for looking...

I have 2+ acres.

I have a simplicity regent (Which I love the cut) but the build quality is just not strong enough. The frame is cracking. steering is going.
The ground used to be a pasture.. but I have tried to smooth it out.

I will be using the new mower with mulching

I also have a kubota bx2670 with a mid mount mower. I now use this on the back half of the property where it is a bit rougher.

I would like to find a mower that will cut my mowing time down, but sill allow for a great cut. I need something durable, which is why I thought of the ferris.

The other brands that I have around me are Kubota and Scag.

I was thinking of the is2100.. but would like to hear others opinions / options.

Thanks

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for looking...

I have 2+ acres.

I have a simplicity regent (Which I love the cut) but the build quality is just not strong enough. The frame is cracking. steering is going.
The ground used to be a pasture.. but I have tried to smooth it out.

I will be using the new mower with mulching

I also have a kubota bx2670 with a mid mount mower. I now use this on the back half of the property where it is a bit rougher.

I would like to find a mower that will cut my mowing time down, but sill allow for a great cut. I need something durable, which is why I thought of the ferris.

The other brands that I have around me are Kubota and Scag.

I was thinking of the is2100.. but would like to hear others opinions / options.

Thanks

Not sure how much money you want to spend but I have three Scag Tiger Cats that are awesome machines. I still have one Kubota left that I use primarily for leaves in the fall and winter. As far as I am concerned the Tiger Cat Scag will cut circles around anything that Kubota has to offer. I ran a ZD326 about 800 hours and had very little problems with it but the cut quality and maneuverability was not even on the same planet as far as I am concerned.

Scag's Velocity Deck cuts incredibly.

I have never operated a Ferris so therefore I can't give a fair evaluation of that mower.

FMBill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Ferris 1000z used (400+ hours) about 3 years ago from a contractor. I think it's a 2004. It now has around 550 hours on it. The tires need replaced but I feel it does a great job. It has a 48" deck and I mow about 3.5 acres in 1:15. It looks great when the blades are sharp. The Kohler engine is awesome. The fuel has stopped flowing from the left tank (don't know why yet). I just started having an issue with it cutting out randomly. If I dock the left stick, it's keeps going. When I start again it wants to cut out again. I'm thinking the roughness of the former pasture has something to do with it. I'm pretty sure one of the safety switches is bad, I just haven't had the time to troubleshoot it yet. Talking with other commercial mower owners, the tire issue is pretty typical after 400 hours. This mower replaced an old Cub Cadet 986 Hydro. I'm pretty happy overall right now. I'll be posting on here as I get stuff figured out. I may change my tune as the parts start ringing up!

Last edited:

clay45

Threads
I sure think highly of my SCAG TigerCat 52" Kawasaki FX691. Quality construction and it has handled my 6+ acres of pasture for the last 3 years. Mine's too rough to mow fast though.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I sure think highly of my SCAG TigerCat 52" Kawasaki FX691. Quality construction and it has handled my 6+ acres of pasture for the last 3 years. Mine's too rough to mow fast though.

Just need a 4 point harness

Lawn Addict
Threads
:laughing:

gogojuice

Threads
I'm going to post this over in the buying forum and see if I get some more thoughts.

I'm looking at scag too.. but it seems that they have so so many options that it appears confusing to me.

What would be the equivalent to ferris models.

the 700 and 2100

Thanks

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm going to post this over in the buying forum and see if I get some more thoughts.

I'm looking at scag too.. but it seems that they have so so many options that it appears confusing to me.

What would be the equivalent to ferris models.

the 700 and 2100

Thanks
No need to double post we all read everything.

greenguy

Threads
After mowing with Ariens(10HP, 20HP), Troybilt GTX 20, 2011 John Deere X720SE, I just purchased a Ferris IS2100Z 61" 28HP EFI. I couldn't remove the smile from my face after 1 use and my back is still thanking me for not getting pounded to death. My 2 kids lawns that I mow are very rough. It is a very well built machine, just hope all the electronics hold up!!!!