SOLVED: NOT INTERESTED IN WARRANTY ADVISE-27hp 49T877 V-twin rod bearing oil

Threads
  • / SOLVED: NOT INTERESTED IN WARRANTY ADVISE-27hp 49T877 V-twin rod bearing oil
does anyone know how the rod bearings are designed get oil on a 27hp 49T877 series Vtwin?
there's pressure passages from the pump ported thru the case that flows thru the cam to the crank main journals and there are 2 oil holes in the crank rod journal but they dead end there and do not connect to the mains on the crank?
cant for the life of me see how the rods get oiled on the big end,
this is a new motor had a knocking rod and I'm wondering is it possible the crank wasnt cross drilled from the mains to the rod journal and they sent it like this from the factory? or is it not pressure fed to the rods? anyone have a repair manual that shows the lubrication pathway?
49T877-0010-G1 27HP commercial turf

Bertrrr

Threads
  • / SOLVED: NOT INTERESTED IN WARRANTY ADVISE-27hp 49T877 V-twin rod bearing oil
Wouldn't surprise me if they're not cross drilled in todays age of quality control. If it's got an oil pump it has to be a pressurized system and getting oil though the crankshaft ports up to the rod bearings all the way up into the piston pin. Only way to verify is to pull it apart though

Threads
Wouldn't surprise me if they're not cross drilled in todays age of quality control. If it's got an oil pump it has to be a pressurized system and getting oil though the crankshaft ports up to the rod bearings all the way up into the piston pin. Only way to verify is to pull it apart though
It's apart and the crank is definitely not drilled from the rod journal to the mains.

20230616_112555.jpg

Threads
Rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees.

Here is an image of the crankshaft itself with line showing oil passage to the rod journals
Thanks, On this crank, there's absolutely no passage from the rod journal to the main on the pto side, had a feeling it should have been cross drilled but it wasn't.
Must be a factory flaw and that's why the rod was knocking.

Reactions: Zue
Threads
I pulled an identical motor apart... the oil passage to the rod journal is right where it supposed to be.
Evidently someone was asleep in the crank drilling dept.
This crank has no oil passage to the rod journal.

20230616_141832.jpg

20230616_141902.jpg

20230616_141912.jpg

Bertrrr

Threads
Wow , unbelievable - looks like you're goin to have to replace the crankshaft - that's the kinda luck I usually have - I'd be interested in how you move forward from this debacle -

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just drill it out and polish her over. You have a perfect picture of what it should look like.

It's not the space shuttle..........

Last edited:
Threads
Cast, shouldn't be bad drilling, need a .210" bit long enough to reach the rod journal.
And a good way to clamp it at the proper angle....but that's what it's looking like.