Solar Power for a house

bret

Threads
How practical is this? I know of a couple who have this huge beautiful house way in the woods which runs on a solar panel and a huge generator. It was factored into the cost of the house when they built it, how practical do you think this is?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
....and a huge generator.

If you are going to have electrical "conveniences", you are going to need a large generator OR a large storage system and multiple generating systems...
Solar is NOT very practical... The square feet you need for a kilowatt is HUGE... and there is no solar half the day and for the time that the sun shines, the solar panels are not tracking the sun so they are not at their maximum out put the majority of time... Every source may help but the cost and size of solar is not going to lend itself to practical.... KennyV

Driller

Threads
I'm not sure we have enough details to judge whether the solar is the best option or not. I know of some wonderful solar setups that provide all the energy the families need and has saved them a ton of money.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Solar, especially heat gathering solar is DEFINITELY a very economical addition ...

Solar Voltaic, is coming around but has some limitations in most applications...
solar is a very good addition but not a replacement for the "grid" YET... :smile:KennyV

bret

Threads
I am looking to possibly convert my electric run household to alternative power, preferable a renewable resource like solar power, I am just wondering the practicality of it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am looking to possibly convert my electric run household to alternative power, preferable a renewable resource like solar power, I am just wondering the practicality of it.

If you are at a point close to replacing your furnace and AC ... Look into geothermal you can tag a domestic water heater to that and actually have hot water for no cost... along with home heat and cooling for a LOT less operational costs... :smile:KennyV