Snapper zero turn front pivot wheel frozen , won't swivel

AndreGH

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Snapper zero turn front pivot wheel frozen , won't swivel
I have a snapper zero turn . I forgot to grease up the front pivot wheel assembly and one is locked up. I took off the top spring clip and washer and sprayed WD40 on the top of the pivot . Hours later , still stuck. HELP!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely the two bearings will need to be replaced.

Please post the model number from the serial number tag so someone can lookup the parts.

I only got one Snapper ZTR under my wing and it uses 6205-2RS(ZZ) bearings but I have not been in there yet. I seem to remember these are the ones with a snap ring attached or at least I had ordered some this year for stock..

AndreGH

Forum Newbie
Threads
RZT27460. 27hp 46" cut
Model # 7800578
Ser# 2014413242

AndreGH

Forum Newbie
Threads
The schematic shows the fork slides into the sleeve on the front assembly. There is a washer on the bottom of the stem of the fork and a washer and spring clip to hold it on the top. There is a grease fitting that appears to be able to take out. There are no bearings.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for the model number. This unit doesn't use ball bearings so you need to disassemble the fork and clean out the front axle assy. It is probably either harden grease and/or rust that is binding the shaft.

Here I would use a hand reamer to sure the bushings (if Snapper (Briggs) used bushing) are clean. I have done a Husqvarna where I resize and install a pair brass bushings in the cast iron axle but that one was sloppy to start with.

And I see you posted while I was researching and posting so you probably already seen the following diagram. This is why I needed the model number as there are various designs being used.

1647779001808.png

AndreGH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thankyou I have the same diagram. I've been soaking the top of the pivot with penetrating oil . So I guess my only alternative is to take out the grease fitting and pound the fork off with a sledge

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Use a brass hammer or a section of wood to protect the shaft. Steel on steel will cause it to mushroom.

Also there is a service bulletin on this mower which may or may not been applied.
1647779995523.png
They change hairpin clip to a 3/8" Rue Ring clip. These are a pain to remove.
1647780082780.png

Now I am off to have my bank drain somewhat. I got to get 4 300 CCA U1 batteries. Boy have they gone up.

Last edited:

AndreGH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thankyou for the info

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd try real penetrating oil and then work it slowly left and right. Would try a little heat before pounding.

AndreGH

Forum Newbie
Threads
Welp, after awhile I decided to put the unit back together. I put the tire back on and pounded the pivot back in the front assembly. Fired up the lawnmower, moved backwards 2 ft and the pivot wheel swiveled as normal....proceeded to moved the lawn after greasing all the grease points.