Snapper Vibration

toplink

Forum Newbie
Threads
This thread leads me to post an experience I had with vibrations.... mower is a G1800 Kubota, with a 54" deck. Mowing through some heavy stuff that had some fallen branches. Usually, no problems, but this time, all at once, the once smooth running deck began to really vibrate. Shut down the deck and the engine runs smooth. Re-engage the deck, and the belts rattle and shake. I assumed that a spindle bearing had let go. Dropped the deck, disconnected it and took it apart to look for the problem. Found NOTHING !! Spindles all good, gearbox perfect, idler good, belts good... what else?? I sat and looked at the critter, and spun each drive sheave, looking for damage. Found it... a small piece of wood (limb) had jammed into the groove for one of the belts. Every time that small piece went around under the belt, it caused the belt to tension up and then snap back. Picked the wood out of the groove, put it all back together, runs as good as new. Something worth remembering.

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks toplink,

Yes, all kinds of strange things happen. I believe this is just poor design and could have been eliminated if they had just put an idler pully on the side that has such a LONG section of belt that is free to set up a vibration by moving so far side to side on every revolution. I'll still try to move the front forward and see if I can reduce the free play in that blade drive belt.

J.R.'s Brother in law purchased this mower for him or he would have told them to keep it and return his money. Right now - he is just using it to pull his wood wagon around and using the older 30" Snapper to mow.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions !

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If someone has the same problem with the 33" Snapper rear engine rider -- loosening the clamp that holds the front and rear half of the mower and pulling the 2 halves apart is how the belt is tightened - (stupid design in MHO) I managed to stretch and re-tighten about 3/8" -- it is better, but may need a little more adjustment. The idler pully has no adjustment on this model ???WHY??? Hope this helps someone !

Ffredd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just replaced a spindle housing on a 28" snapper rider that suffered a failure of the flange weld. Wow. Never pulled my foot off the blade pedal as fast as when the last bit of metal failed and the blade started contacting the deck. The mower had a "slight" vibration for the last several years. Never thought to check the weld, but hey, it ain't an airplane... Any way, hope this helps.