Snapper Hi Vac mower..no start

dave77

Forum Newbie
Threads
I usually lurk in the back ground and read the forums to learn new things. I am a retired auto mechanic with very little experience with small engines. I came across a self propelled Snapper Hi Vac mower with a 5 hp briggs motor. The guy said that he couldn't get it to start and he wanted $30. for it, I bought it for 20 thinking that it was going to be an old gas, dirty carb problem. When I got it home I tried starting but it was a no go. I checked for spark first , it was a good and had a new plug in it and the oil had just been changed out, while the plug was out I wanted to check compression then I remembered I loaned my gauge set out several months back and it had not been returned yet, I covered the plug hole with my thumb , there was compression but no idea how much. I removed the air cleaner and gave the carb a shot of cleaner , it didn't even try to start. I kept trying for a while but I figured there must be something else. I checked the fly wheel key, it was in place as it should be. I removed the side cover to see the valves and they were moving. I removed the cylinder head, the cylinder is in good shape , smooth and no scarring, both valves open about 1/4 inch. I have photos of the head and block, does anybody have an idea? I'm only out twenty bucks if I don't get it going so it's no big deal. Thanks for this and all the things that I have learned while lurking.

Attachments

• snapper.jpg
    snapper.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 5
  • snapper1.jpg
    snapper1.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 4
  • snapper2.jpg
    snapper2.jpg
    695.4 KB · Views: 5
  • snapper3.jpg
    snapper3.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 4
  • snapper5.jpg
    snapper5.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 4
  • snapper4.jpg
    snapper4.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 5

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being a 92 model engine. If you open one of the valve and have one closed can you turn the closed valve with your fingers. I normally would put my thumb on them and try to rotate If it rotates then it isn't sealing and will need the clearances reset. The Briggs flathead or L head engines are known to float the valves over time. Normally the intake valve is the culprit.

dave77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Being a 92 model engine. If you open one of the valve and have one closed can you turn the closed valve with your fingers. I normally would put my thumb on them and try to rotate If it rotates then it isn't sealing and will need the clearances reset. The Briggs flathead or L head engines are known to float the valves over time. Normally the intake valve is the culprit.
I just went and tried, the closed valve is tight , I rechecked several times