Snapper Giving me fits.

ocsdfw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a snapper self propelled mower with a B&S engine with a weird problem. It starts fine, will mow for 15-30 minutes the loose power and die. I can prime it and start it back up then it starts acting up all over again about 5 minutes later. Done the usual, changed plug, airfilter, gas, oil, etc....
Even when it start to die if I am quick enough I can reach down and prime it while it dieing and it goes for a few more minutes. On thing I notice yesterday when mowing is I can take the airfilter completely off and for the first time it ran the entire time I needed to mow the grass with out dieing on me. Of course I know running the mower with out a air filter is not the best solution. Any suggestion. Also as a side not sometimes when I power down the mower it will stay on and sputter for a short while befor it shuts of. Had the carb rebuilt last season also.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry to say the carb needs to be rebuilt again. You need to replace the float needle and seat.

ocsdfw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seems like I am having to have this carb rebuit every 1-2 seasons. Seems like a lot since I only use this mower once a week during the mowing season on a small yard. Any I alway do a spark plug, filter, new gas, and oil at the beginnig of the season. Its odd you can buy a mower new, go for 5 or so years with out having to need one then now it seems like every year.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you using 87 octane fuel with 10% ethanol added, I see this problem when ever mowers sit unused for extended periods of time, more than 30 days. We recommend to our customers to use a high octane non-ethanol fuel. It has reduced our comebacks by over 90%.

ocsdfw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Started using high octane a few years ago on and off. Also will put some gas additive, gumout, etc... in there every now and then. also run the mower empty of gas on last mow of the season as well as empty out the oil. Its a 90s Snapper with B&S engine. Always been a winner until last 4 years. Tired of paying the lawn shop $80 to rebuild the carb when it does not seem to hold for to long. Any idea of it still runs sometime after I turn it off for a few seconds then sputters before it dies? I am actually taking the carb off now as we speak, YouTube videos are good resources but as I am inpecting it everything looks clean, no cloges, rings look good, etc.....

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you got the engine Model/engine number I can look it up and have a look.

ocsdfw

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can find the engine/model number. Look everywhere. What told its a B&S. This is a 90"s model, ninja mulcher, rear wheel drive with primer bulb.

The mower is a Snapper P21600
S/N 65939941

Also there is a bar code sticker number 8237465939941

I just finished cleaning the carb, Which looked already pretty clean to start, no gunk or diry in the and the bowl look good as new, checked all the gaskets and float valve and all looks good. I just mowed the entire yard after doing this and it did not die on me. But having said that when I shut it down it staye on for about 10-15 seconds then sputtered before it died.

ocsdfw

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, found it. Hiding under cover.

12h802-1531-21

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now that I know the engine type and what carb is fitted to it I have read the manual and read the post here, am going to go with the reply that Rivets gave you, and that's to reclean/rebuilt the carb or replace the carb.