Towing Snapper Charging System

tvl

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a snapper rear engine mower that was purchased in 1997. The mower is in excellent shape and runs extremely well. It has a 14 HP Kohler engine and has a 33 inch cut.

I recently purchased a 21 gallon tow behind liquid sprayer. The spray unit utilizes an 8 amp motor. I have two choices for electrical power:

1- Purchase a second battery and mount it to the sprayer unit. Keep the second battery charged with a battery charger when not in use.

2- Connect the sprayer motor directly to the Snapper's battery and get power the easy way.

Will the charging system of this particular Snapper be able to handle the additional amp load without any adverse issues? I am speculating the stock charging system isn't designed to handle accessories, but hoping a Snapper expert could educate me further.

Thanks so very much!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That will depend upon which of the 4 different output alternators your particular engine has bbut my gut feeling is no.
Kohler do offer a 25A system which will work but remember the generating system on a mower engine is not particularly good of efficient so you will pay big time in fuel consumption.

cashman

Threads
A general rule of thumb on Kohler charging systems is to never have a continuous load of more than half of the amps the charging system is rated. Foe example if you have a 15 amp charging system, you should never exceed 7.5 amps as a continuous load.