Snapper 42" ZTR, Series 1, Belt/Clutch problem

di.gais4d

Forum Newbie
Threads
My mower has stopped cutting. I started by replacing the belt to the mowing deck. When this did not work, I discovered a spring holding a tensioner for the belt from the motor to the clutch was not connected. I reconnected the spring, but this did not help. I replaced the belt from the motor to the clutch with a new one. Still not working. I have now replaced the clutch but still no luck. Early on, the blades would turn slowly and then get up to speed, but once I moved the mower forward to cut, the blades stopped rotating. Now I cannot get the blades to rotate. The bolt that holds the clutch assembly in place spins while the clutch is disengaged. When I engage the clutch, the shaft stalls. If the belt driving the mowing deck is removed, the clutch will engage and spin. Both blades and the idler pulleys on the deck turn freely. My next thought was to replace the jack shaft and pulley but this does not seem to make sense. Any ideas?

Here's a link to a parts diagram Parts and Diagrams for Snapper HZS15421KVE 42" 15 HP ZTR Yard Cruiser Series 1

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there! WELCOME to LawnMowerForum! :biggrin:

I moved your thread to the Snapper Forum. You'll get a better response there. :wink:

di.gais4d

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, I've found the problem, but not the cause. When the PTO switch is engaged, the clutch engages, but the brake on the clutch does not release. Any ideas out there?