Snapper 26085

redclayramblers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

All of a sudden my snapper rer will only move in first and reverse. Just sits in second through sixth.

What do I need to do? It is slow mowing in first!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello and Welcome to LMF...

Check the drive belt... it could be loose or badly worn... It may have enough to move in the lowest gear but not enough for higher gears... :smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
In addition to Kenny's suggestion, check the drive disk tension. (unless it's true hydro, then you may have a level or filter problem)

redclayramblers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there such a thing as the driven gear becoming slick?

As if the mower was spinning and the driven gear was worn down and will not touch drive disk?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think twall is the 'pro from Dover' on the disk drives on snappers... Hope he spots your question... :smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, that's what the drive disks do. There is a replaceable rubber ring that contacts the driven plate, and the movement toward center gives you slower speeds. Go just past center, and the disk runs backwards, giving you reverse.

This rubber drive disk must have firm contact with the drive plate all the way across its face (or, in all"gears ") to work properly. Too tight, though and it will be hard to shift, and wear excessively.

As far as "becoming slick" - do you mean the rubber ring being contamiated with oil? That's entirely possible. Unfortunately, if this is the case, you need to fix the leak, and replace the rubber disk wear surface. It's every bit like a v-belt in that regard. Once it's contaminated with oil, it'll remain slick no matter what you do to clean it. Not that easy, but a lot easier than, say, tearing apart a gear transaxle to replace a shift fork! :wink:

Hope this answers your question! :thumbsup:

Sent from my WX445 using LMF

redclayramblers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the replies!

No not slick with oil but like worn smooth like the mower was in gear and againest a wall and rubbed the driven smooth like with a fine sandpaper.

Is it easy to replace the rubber ring drive?

I am thinking the driven is not touching the drive disk.

If that is the case why does it work fine in reverse but not forward?

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's being driven the oppostire way. The wear is directional, so you might be getting a little bit of grip enough when it drives backward to make it move. Or the slide that moves the disk isn't exactly centered.

Try adjusting it first before you go replacing the disk. It's time consuming to replace it, but not all that hard. Download the owner's manual from Snapper's website for instructions on adjustment and replacement (get the service manual .pdf, too.)

Good luck!

Steve0853

Threads
I had a Snapper RER many years ago and its easy enough to replace the rubber drive disk. However, my problem was oil contamination

The symtoms were exactly the same as yours, though. Slow in first and no in 2 thru 6.

Check the rubber around the edge of your drive disk. If its not worn nearly to the steel, its probably OK. It doesn't take much oil to keep the mower from moving. Stand your mower on end. You should be able to see if there is an engine leak. As I said, even a little bit will contaminate the drive wheel.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
The disk can crack as well, so the only way it works is when the areas of good rubber climb backward against the cracks. Not a good vervbal pic, but mine is doing it. Still works just fine, but it needs replacing. I will post a step-by-step in this forum on the disk replacement. Not hard, like I said, but time consuming.

Also, get any leaks fixed before attemting a disk replacement, like I said.