Snapper 21351PD - how to completely remove rear wheel drive disc?

Setec1987

Threads
  • / Snapper 21351PD - how to completely remove rear wheel drive disc?
Hi everyone,
I searched, but could not find someone else who did this. I want to take apart my old Snapper 21351PD walk-behind mower, so that I can clean and paint the deck.

I have tried to remove the disc drive system shown below, but am missing something obvious - I've turned the nut directly under it (under the deck) but it doesn't loosen it.

Has anyone else removed it successfully, please?

I am referring to item 38 in this diagram: https://www.partstree.com/models/21...nd-mower-3-5hp/drive-system-self-propelled-2/

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• pulley.jpg
    pulley.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 41

upupandaway

Threads
To remove parts 37/38 from the parts diagram, you will need a tool that holds part 38 or else when u turn the nut from underneath, this will just turn also.

To get a "tool" to hold it, get a piece of crap wrench (22mm I recall) and grind it down so that it is only about 3/16" thick. Personally, a wrench from my milling machine is the exact size and also thin enough.
Now, push the tool under the drive disk to the spacer\shaft and turn the nut from underneath the deck. When you turn the nut you will hear the wrench "rubbing" then eventually it will line up with the flat spots on the "spacer" and fall in and hold the spacer from turning. Now the nut underneath will break loose.
(here is what you are trying to hold-note flat spots) https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3nsAAOSwurZZDyvm/s-l300.jpg

"so that I can clean and paint the deck." Been there done that!!(that's how I found this out)

ps. the tensioner pivots on this shaft so watch out so you don't loose anything when the nut comes off.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks to me like part #38 is a bushing, which is held on to the drive disc with a push nut. Push nuts most often need to be cut off, and replaced. I think you need to remove part #32, which is a 3/8x24 nut, to get at the push nut. If you need a thinner wrench to get at this nut, I would go to the oldest auto repair shop in you area and see if they will borrow you a 9/16” tappet wrench. Most of the newer/bigger shops have no idea of what this wrench looks like or have one.

upupandaway

Threads
Last edited:

upupandaway

Threads
You edited your post as the one you deleted shows #38 as a bushing. What gives???
You mean the pulley? I changed to a more bottom up pic. I just added the spacer(your bushing) to the earlier post. I didn't remove anything.

Setec1987

Threads
Thank you everyone.

Gord Baker

Threads
Hi everyone,
I searched, but could not find someone else who did this. I want to take apart my old Snapper 21351PD walk-behind mower, so that I can clean and paint the deck.

I have tried to remove the disc drive system shown below, but am missing something obvious - I've turned the nut directly under it (under the deck) but it doesn't loosen it.

Has anyone else removed it successfully, please?

I am referring to item 38 in this diagram: https://www.partstree.com/models/21...nd-mower-3-5hp/drive-system-self-propelled-2/

Thank you in advance
Clean underside of Disc as much as possible Spray with Brakecleener and next day turn it on its' side and spray paint as much as possible. Done.

Setec1987

Threads
On another topic, I think that it's time to replace this coil in my other 21351PD. This one is probably 36 years old:coil.jpg
The engine starts with this, after a few pulls.