Small part timer looking for new ZT, Help!

lynxridge

Threads
Hey all, I am new to this site. I have a small part time mowing business (about 10 accounts) and I am looking to upgrade from my 2008 46" Snapper tractor to a zero turn. There are way too many choices out there and I've got information overload. Right now I am looking hard at the Huster Raptor SD, Gravely ZT XL, and Kubota Kommander. What are your alls thoughts on these models and do you have suggestions of other makes and models.... Husqvarna, Ariens, Dixie Chopper or other commercial grade makes...? I'd really like to keep my budget around $4,000-4500, but get something that will last me 5 years. I am leaning towards a Hustler or Gravely because of the Kawasaki engines, but I also like the Kubota because, well, it's name and it has some nice options. It has a B&S I believe, and from what I have read on other forums you should stay away from B&S and Kohler. How much truth is there to that? My Snapper has a Briggs has run great.
I had pretty much settled on the Hustler Raptor SD, but then I saw a youtube review where they have had issues with spindles and clutches. So that set me back a bit.
What are the biggest things I should be looking for, as far as options and build?
Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you all!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you do or plan to do leaf collection, then look for a machine that has a collection blower/bagger option from the manufacturer. As Kawasaki has many engines in their line, the FX models are the top of the Kawi line and it has the HD dual element air filter as standard equipment. Dust ingestion is a serious factor particularly when using a collection system as the bags hang close to the engine. If you are not a self service type, then I suggest that you consider buying from a local quality servicing dealer.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::smile::biggrin:

quadridermx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I mow about 2 acres and have been researching this very question for months now. The best bang for the buck (right now) in my opinion, is the Husqvarna M-ZT61. It has commercial 3400 hydros, a fairly heavy reinforced fabricated deck, large tires all around, and offers the Kawasaki engine. It's considered an entry level commercial mower and weights around 8-900 lbs. Appears to be built well, and the reviews on them are all great. The features blow any residential mower out of the water.

I went with it because it had the most bang for the buck that I could find, AND right now Husqvarna is running a promotion. Buy any "commercial" zero turn with 3 hand helds (backpack blower, trimmer, edger, for example) and get 20% off the entire purchase. They are also offering 0% financing for 4 years.

After a little bargaining (they couldn't do much), I am getting a M-ZT61 with the Kawasaki engine, 2 backpack blowers, a mulching kit, and a string trimmer for about $5500. The dealer actually offered to buy back the handhelds if I didn't need them. That would have put the mower itself at about $4700, which is a lot of bang for your buck in this segment.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey all, I am new to this site. I have a small part time mowing business (about 10 accounts) and I am looking to upgrade from my 2008 46" Snapper tractor to a zero turn. There are way too many choices out there and I've got information overload. Right now I am looking hard at the Huster Raptor SD, Gravely ZT XL, and Kubota Kommander. What are your alls thoughts on these models and do you have suggestions of other makes and models.... Husqvarna, Ariens, Dixie Chopper or other commercial grade makes...? I'd really like to keep my budget around $4,000-4500, but get something that will last me 5 years. I am leaning towards a Hustler or Gravely because of the Kawasaki engines, but I also like the Kubota because, well, it's name and it has some nice options. It has a B&S I believe, and from what I have read on other forums you should stay away from B&S and Kohler. How much truth is there to that? My Snapper has a Briggs has run great.
I had pretty much settled on the Hustler Raptor SD, but then I saw a youtube review where they have had issues with spindles and clutches. So that set me back a bit.
What are the biggest things I should be looking for, as far as options and build?
Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you all!

The Husqvarna MZ-T series recommended by user quadridermx would be a good one for you to look at. On the Gravely, I would recommend you go with the ZT HD series(a "little" pricier than the XL, but of all the Gravely's I was LEAST impressed with the XL specs & build...and I love my Gravely). I had not heard about the spindle and clutch problems on the new Hustler Raptor series. Can you post a link to that??? If you have a Dixie Chopper dealer nearby check out the Zee 2. Some others to compare would be a Toro Titan or Cub Cadet Z-Force. There are a lot of "options" to consider, but if you are mowing commercially the most important ones are serviceable trannies, at least a 10gauge deck(if not a 7gauge), Kawasaki engine if you can get it, a decent warranty and most importantly....a dealer you feel comfortable with. You may have to up the ante to around $5k to get a machine tough enough for 10 yards weekly.

lynxridge

Threads
The Husqvarna MZ-T series recommended by user quadridermx would be a good one for you to look at. On the Gravely, I would recommend you go with the ZT HD series(a "little" pricier than the XL, but of all the Gravely's I was LEAST impressed with the XL specs & build...and I love my Gravely). I had not heard about the spindle and clutch problems on the new Hustler Raptor series. Can you post a link to that??? If you have a Dixie Chopper dealer nearby check out the Zee 2. Some others to compare would be a Toro Titan or Cub Cadet Z-Force. There are a lot of "options" to consider, but if you are mowing commercially the most important ones are serviceable trannies, at least a 10gauge deck(if not a 7gauge), Kawasaki engine if you can get it, a decent warranty and most importantly....a dealer you feel comfortable with. You may have to up the ante to around $5k to get a machine tough enough for 10 yards weekly.

I found the recall info on a youtube video a kid posted. I verified it on this thread http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/hustler-forum/24237-raptor-sd-recall.html

If I had the $5k to jump up to the next level I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I really need to keep it around $4k. That is why I am looking at the Raptor SD. I talked to my Gravely dealer and he has the 48" at $4099 and the 54" at 4199. I need to measure my trailer before I decide if I am going 54 or not. The Hustler dealer has no residential in stock, but can order it. I am still waiting for a call back on the price. I also heard there is a 3 week backorder on the raptors, which is also plays a role into my decision. Another thing that will play a roll is a bagger. It is a must, but they are very pricey. I am contemplating keeping my old Snapper with the bagger on it for fall, or buying one of those Accelerator or Pack 'Em side cans.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I found the recall info on a youtube video a kid posted. I verified it on this thread http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/hustler-forum/24237-raptor-sd-recall.html

If I had the $5k to jump up to the next level I'd do it in a heartbeat, but I really need to keep it around $4k. That is why I am looking at the Raptor SD. I talked to my Gravely dealer and he has the 48" at $4099 and the 54" at 4199. I need to measure my trailer before I decide if I am going 54 or not. The Hustler dealer has no residential in stock, but can order it. I am still waiting for a call back on the price. I also heard there is a 3 week backorder on the raptors, which is also plays a role into my decision. Another thing that will play a roll is a bagger. It is a must, but they are very pricey. I am contemplating keeping my old Snapper with the bagger on it for fall, or buying one of those Accelerator or Pack 'Em side cans.

The recall on the clutch seems to be very minor, but not knowing what kind of spindles they use on the Raptor(and the warranty on them) that would be a concern. One would think a company like Hustler would use decent spindle assemblies on any product they build.

lynxridge

Threads
The recall on the clutch seems to be very minor, but not knowing what kind of spindles they use on the Raptor(and the warranty on them) that would be a concern. One would think a company like Hustler would use decent spindle assemblies on any product they build.

According to their site they use aluminum. The same for the Gravely ZT XL. You have to go up to the fastrak or ZT HD to get cast.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

Hey...if you haven't already, check out some of the new owner reviews/problems with the RSD on the thread in the link below. Seems like most of them could be related to the recall:

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/hustler-forum/21880-raptor-sd.html