slipping groaning hydro...

oldntired55

Threads
hello again, i never got a response on a previous post, i have an older simplicity broadmoor, when i get to an inline, it slows down and groans, regardless of engine speed or drive speed lever position. i drained and refilled hydro with my ford tractor hyd fluid...could it be too thin? how sensitive are they to fluid types? help...

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Need the seven digit model number to which transaxles you have. Most hydros uses either SAE15W50 synthetic or SAE20W50 Dino oil but to be sure what yours uses we need the model number to lookup the IPL.

oldntired55

Threads
the model number on the frame says 1693840... i also have an update. i replaced the drive belt, it was really worn, and had oil on it. (need to find and fix the leak). i tried it out on that same 45 degree incline... went about halfway up that time...improvement, but not finished. i dumped the hydraulic oil i used a week ago, got some STENS 20W-50 hydro fluid. filled it up and tried again...this time, it went up over the hump and actually spun the tires at the top.my better half tells me it is much quieter, not the loud whining noise like before. all i know is, it is better than it was. still tossing the idea of tearin it down to check the pump for wear, as well as that filter that is buried under pump housing. if someone used it on a mostly 'flat' yard...it would be fine i believe.!! any thoughts?

oldntired55

Threads
Need the seven digit model number to which transaxles you have. Most hydros uses either SAE15W50 synthetic or SAE20W50 Dino oil but to be sure what yours uses we need the model number to lookup the IPL.
the model number on the frame says 1693840

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sorry for the delay. I being drove crazy here with a Briggs engine problem.

The mower has a Tuff Torq K46 transaxle and it uses SAE15w50 synthetic oil. Good source is Mobile One oil at Walmart. But SAE20W50 is fine to use in the unit just a little thick during the winter.

I believe base your post #3 you are good to go now. Got lucky.