Shutsoff when pulling arms in

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
RZTL 54IN
17crcaca009
1d057h50187

When pulling the arms in it shuts off. When arms are apart that serves as the parking brake. When engine is running while in park blades wont come on either. I tried new seat switch and it didnt fix it. So I guess Im down to trace wires for a short in the wiring harness.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It can be s few possibles,

Seat connector unplugged.
Defective seat switch connector.

These seat connectors have a dual pole shorting strip to the operator from simply unplugging the seat switch. Over time the connector get loose and the shortig activates. I have also seen these shorting strips to be damaged and have the same effect as unplugging the connector.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I tried unplugging the seat switch with the same results. I did find that unplugging the seat switch connector and spraying electronic cleaner in the plug works for 5 to 10min of use til mower dies and back where I started from.

The connector is staying plugged in on the switch locking onto the tab on the switch.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
So how you fix the connector plug if theres a short in it without buying new harness for the mower?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So how you fix the connector plug if theres a short in it without buying new harness for the mower?
can either get a new connector housing which the 96549-OL is impossible to get (or I haven't found a supplier yet). Now you can get a version that only shorts the center two wires. Now you need pick to remove the terminals

1687184392063.png
Both are around $10 each plus shipping.

Or using a pair needle nose pliers remove the shorting strip. Of course this defeats the whole purpose of the shorting strip. Liability issue. You do it but be aware that you could sued if operator gets hurts because it is disabled or people are sue happy.

Two pole shorting strip. Sorry don't currently have a picture of the single shorting strip but basically it is the same except the outside two arms are cut off.
1687184455189.png