SHRPENING BLADES Is there really a better way?

Ron3

Threads
I use a harbor freight stationary belt sander 1x30 inch belt with 120 grit belt ,very quick and smooth. Does a good job ,best I have ever used and I have tried lots of different methods. See attached picture.C6A2C968-10EC-449F-B557-9DDF649F616B.jpeg

Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I read on this forum a 1" belt sander works well to sharpen a mower blade. I've always wanted one so maybe I'll buy myself a belt sander for an early Christmas.

I've been sharpening knives of all kinds and shapes for 75 years with this 3rd generation Al oxide stone and surely I deserve a belt sander.

Attachments

• Knife Stone - Paring Knife 2017.jpg
    Knife Stone - Paring Knife 2017.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 6

Ron3

Threads
I think the little belt sander I have was less than $50.

wanoyee

Forum Newbie
Threads
How sharp do you guys like your blades to be? One guy at a dealer said they don't need to be that sharp... But I do like them knife sharp. Dealer put on new blades for the beginning of last season, installed right out of the box... Never sharpened. Should he have put an edge on them? They seemed so dull.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try this. Sharpen blades to a 30 degree angle and hair shaving razor sharp. Then put them on the mower and mow for about 30 minutes and then see how sharp the blades are. Some blades loke the Marbain ones or the ones with Fusion edge will hold an edge a little longer but all blades will lose a super sharp edge rather quickky.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My neighbor believes in knife sharp blades............. Me, I sharpen @ 30* & then run a file over the face, referred to as bull-nosed.

He swaps blades every 2nd or 3rd mow, when he will be buying replacements, since he took all the metal off. I'll still be using my OEMs'..

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sharper the edge, the cleaner the cut
Down side is more wear.
Horses for courses.
This is why the swing backs we use here give a better cut than the bar blades you use over there

AdamE

Threads
Nobody mentioned a bench grinder which is what I use. Is it because of too much heat?