Should you engage PTO at full throttle?

Threads
I just bought a new husqvarna m-zt 61 Saturday. It had 4.5 hours on it. The mechanic told me to only engage the PTO when you have the throttle at full speed. Apparently that's what husqvarna recommends. He said if you don't you will blow belts. Well I mowed a little bit Saturday then Sunday morning and as soon as I started the deck the belt got chewed up and got stuck under a pulley.

To me it makes more sense to start the PTO when you are at lower rpms. I have rode exmarks for the last 7 years and it says on the control panel to start PTO at half throttle. So what is recommended for this mower

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I just bought a new husqvarna m-zt 61 Saturday. It had 4.5 hours on it. The mechanic told me to only engage the PTO when you have the throttle at full speed. Apparently that's what husqvarna recommends. He said if you don't you will blow belts. Well I mowed a little bit Saturday then Sunday morning and as soon as I started the deck the belt got chewed up and got stuck under a pulley.

To me it makes more sense to start the PTO when you are at lower rpms. I have rode exmarks for the last 7 years and it says on the control panel to start PTO at half throttle. So what is recommended for this mower

What does it say in the manual ? I would do what the Manual says. Most engine manufacturers will tell you how to engage blades on their mowers. What Exmark says to do with their mowers may not be the same thing.

Threads
Well it didn't come with a manual. They told me that that they don't come with one and if I needed one its online. I thought it was strange. I looked the manual up online but it didnt say. But since it had 4 hours on it I'm not sure if the person that used it for them 4 hours engaged it at half or full throttle. Maybe they damaged it. That was the only thing I didn't look at when I bought it. Luckily I called the dealer Sunday and they gave me one for free. I just don't want damage it if its not supposed to be full throttle. They are 94 for a new one

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well it didn't come with a manual. They told me that that they don't come with one and if I needed one its online. I thought it was strange. I looked the manual up online but it didnt say. But since it had 4 hours on it I'm not sure if the person that used it for them 4 hours engaged it at half or full throttle. Maybe they damaged it. That was the only thing I didn't look at when I bought it. Luckily I called the dealer Sunday and they gave me one for free. I just don't want damage it if its not supposed to be full throttle. They are 94 for a new one

I've never heard of such a thing. Buy a new mower and not get a manual with it, that's crazy. I think I'd do what the mechanic told you to do. All my Toros said to engage at full throttle same with my CC ZTR and walk behinds. What engine do you have.

Threads
I'm thinkinking since the mower had a few hours on it they never got the manual and they didn't have one on hand to give me. There is a different dealer sticker on it.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have often considered this subject , but have never been inside an electric clutch. Seems even with electro-magnetic lockup there would be frictional wear on shoes or something. When I sometimes use e.g., half throttle, to engage the PTO it feels ok , and seems to reduce load. My 2009 Craftsman DYT 4000 still has its original belts and PTO. (big mistake to say this). My manual is silent on this issue. Good discussion item.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm thinkinking since the mower had a few hours on it they never got the manual and they didn't have one on hand to give me. There is a different dealer sticker on it.

I have the 23 HP Kawasaki

Word for word the manual says Engaging the Blade Control switch (PTO) with the throttle position at half or less will cause excessive wear to the drive belts. Always use the fast position when turning on the mower deck with the blade control switch (PTO). That's what the Manual for the Z Master says and the same for my Grandstand. The ZM uses the Kawasaki FX 651 20.5hp and the GS has the FS 541 15 hp. At full throttle you'll put less load on the engine.

gainestruk

Threads
On my Husqvarna 4623 zero turn it says in manual "Move throttle control to full throttle, Engage the mower deck by pulling out the blade switch"
You should have received an operators manual, a parts manual and an engine manual, the back of operators manual is where you show all maintenance and shop repairs.
I would insist the dealer get me the proper manuals at their cost, it should have been attached to mower from factory.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I engage the PTO on all my machines a full throttle, don't want to be bothered pulling the throttle back and forth. I do periodically inspect the clutches and check the resistance of the coils and to ground.