Short in the starting system?

hairrell

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 15-yr-old Simplicity Broadmoor tractor. For the last few weeks, I've noticed that the starter (which I replaced about a year ago) seemed balky. I'd turn the key and it would groan and not start the engine. I'd try again and it would work. Last night, after turning off the engine at the part of my yard farthest from the garage (of course), when I turned the key, I saw a spark beneath the dashboard, then nothing. The starter never sounded like it tried to spin. I lost all electrical power (no dashboard lights, no clicking hour meter), but it returned on its own after a few minutes. This is very repeatable now.

I'm guessing that I have a short somewhere -- solenoid, starter, or maybe a wire to one of those. The fact that I saw a spark and that a breaker seems to be tripping whenever I try to start leads me to that conclusion.

Any suggestions on how to find that short or a most likely cause?

Thanks.

chance123

Threads
It sounds like you have a circuit breaker in your system that re-sets itself. To check for a short, and by process of elimination, disconnect the wire that is on the starter motor itself. Make sure the end of that wire is not touching anything then turn the key to the "start" position and hold it. If you do have a short, it will reveal itself with that wire removed from the starter. If nothing happens, like that circuit breaker tripping, the only thing left is the starter motor. True, the starter motor does put a load on the electrical system, so check for loose wires and "especially" clean your ground connections.