shopping for bigger mower

chrisn710

Threads
Howdy all,

I just bought land here in Ct. It includes 4 or 5 acres of open fields with pretty heavy duty grass/weeds and vegetation. it is mostly flat or gentle sloping pasture really. The previous owner mowed it once or twice a year with a small J.D. lawn tractor. I am considering a ZT mower to do the job, something like a Hustler Raptor w/52" deck or maybe the ToroSS5060. My big question to you guys is do you think a machine in that class will be up to the task? We plan on building our retirement home there sometime over the next year and will turn some of the field into lawn, but most of it will stay rough. Down the line I will be adding a small farm tractor with a brush hog, but in the mean time I need something to keep things semi-under control. My pockets aren't real deep. I'd like to limit the cost to under $4,000. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Chris

Vanousb

Threads
welcome and congrats on your new land and plans. Would definitely consider a quality zero turn for the speed and quality of cut for your situation. There are some good ZT mowers in that range. Torros, Gravelys, Scag, Dixie, Hustler, Bob Cat, etc. are all big brands that will chime in here and all have good mowers. I am an Exmark guy myself. The Exmark Pioneer s series is what I would recommend for what you have described. But it would cost a little more than you stated to move up to that level. I say that because as you start to really look, be sure you are getting information that compare apples to apples so to speak. I found out that there are varied levels of ZT mowers. I was looking for a while for a 52 inch in the 4-5k range (Gravely, Bad Boy, toro, and Exmark Quest S-Series). Decided to move up and got a pioneers s-series 60 inch cut. My yard was 3 aces of converted farm field. Decided to go with current the financing option which allowed me to move up to a pioneer. In the range you listed, I liked the Gravely and Exmark Quest the best. Glad to share my "whys" if interested. For me I just feel I get best quality and more extras in the details that others in same range. Especially when you get into the S-Series Pioneers and beyond. Other will disagree and share the brand they prefer. On thing they was important in my decision was having a local dealer/service to work with. I would look for a dealer close by I feel can give me the best service for the longest time and take a real good look at what they offer. Ask to demo a mower to see what feels good to you. Fields tend to be bumpy rides even though flat.

You are in the right place for great opinions and info. Keep us updated with how it goes.

chrisn710

Threads
Thanks for the info Vanousb. I will definitely be buying from a dealer versus a big box store. I'll keep you posted on where I end up!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Howdy all,

I just bought land here in Ct. It includes 4 or 5 acres of open fields with pretty heavy duty grass/weeds and vegetation. it is mostly flat or gentle sloping pasture really. The previous owner mowed it once or twice a year with a small J.D. lawn tractor. I am considering a ZT mower to do the job, something like a Hustler Raptor w/52" deck or maybe the ToroSS5060. My big question to you guys is do you think a machine in that class will be up to the task? We plan on building our retirement home there sometime over the next year and will turn some of the field into lawn, but most of it will stay rough. Down the line I will be adding a small farm tractor with a brush hog, but in the mean time I need something to keep things semi-under control. My pockets aren't real deep. I'd like to limit the cost to under $4,000. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Chris

I, like user Vanousb, started out looking to buy a 50"-60" ZTR and figured I would find one $4k-$5k. I looked at all the brands he mentioned and a few more(like Dixon, Wright, Dixie Chopper and Hustler). I had my mind set on getting something "entry-level Commercial" and I quickly found that to get something with some commercial quality features(high-end Residentials) it would cost more like $5k-$6k. Even then, to find something "truly Commercial"(and this was in 2012) I was looking at low $70k to mid $70k range. For what you are needing I would encourage saving up so you could step up into the FasTrak(or better yet, the FasTrak SD) which would be a lot more "up to the task" than the ones you mentioned. There are a LOT of good ZTR's, so take your time compare 4-5 similar ZTR's and go with the best deal/dealer combination.

Vanousb

Threads
After rereading my post, I found my typing skills have a lot to be desires. Leaving of "e" and ending up with they when I meant to say that. I apologize for that. Hope the message was understandable. haha "djdicetn" says it best with "take your time compare 4-5 similar ZTR's and go with the best deal/dealer combination." And I totally agree with the thought of spending a little more to get a lot more over the long term.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Howdy all,

Thanks, Chris

P.S.
If Hustler & Toro are your local dealers check out the Toro Titan series which would also meet your needs. If you have a Gravely dealer nearby compare the Pro-Turn to the Toro Titan(MX series) or Hustler FasTrak SD. Any of those three, if maintained properly, would last years taking care of 4-5 acres!!!!