Shell Rotella T6

kermit911

Threads
I have been reading a lot about this oil, can it be used in gasoline engines?

Thanks
Dave

Black Bart

Threads
Woo Hoo

Thank you
Dave[/QUOTE ]

New SN PCMO has lower ZDDP but the diesel oil still has it.
Any engine with flat tappet cam needs the ZDDP at 1100ppm or more so the new T-6 is the smart choice for all mowers.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is a lot to read about this oil... I see it in every forum and any oil discussion will have it mentioned...a Lot.
It is a great choice for any engine... :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a lot to read about this oil... I see it in every forum and any oil discussion will have it mentioned...a Lot.
It is a great choice for any engine... :smile:KennyV

Kenny, over on TBN, I posted a new thread about Rotella T versus Rotella T6, was basically asking if I change the oil and filter on my Deere at 100 hours using standard Rotella T, could I extend the change interval to 200 hours if I use Rotella T6 instead? The majority of responses said no, and many of the responders were critical of the Rotella oils.

I put about 100-120 hours per year on my tractor and have never considered using synthetic oil, if it doesn't permit you to extend oil change intervals exactly what is the purpose of using it in the first place? I have always been skeptical that it would reduce engine wear enough that the premium price synthetic costs would ever be recovered.

kermit911

Threads
This is how I look at it. Regular oil is natural, they drill for it, refine it, and sell it. Synthetic oil is proccesed, I was told that synthetic oil does not break down or seperate as fast or at all conpaired to normal motor oil. There for synthetic oil will last longer, or in other words more time between oil changes. I could be completely wrong, but this is what I was told and it sound right.

One last thing, a gallon of T6 costs about $28.00, this will fill all my lawn equipment for the entire year. I'm willing to spend $28.00 per year for something that might extend the life of my equipment.

Thanks
Dave

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
This is how I look at it. Regular oil is natural, they drill for it, refine it, and sell it. Synthetic oil is proccesed, I was told that synthetic oil does not break down or seperate as fast or at all conpaired to normal motor oil. There for synthetic oil will last longer, or in other words more time between oil changes. I could be completely wrong, but this is what I was told and it sound right.

One last thing, a gallon of T6 costs about $28.00, this will fill all my lawn equipment for the entire year. I'm willing to spend $28.00 per year for something that might extend the life of my equipment.

Thanks
Dave

Purchased a gallon of Rotella T 15W-40 at Menards today, $12.95 plus tax. So, that means I can buy two gallons of Rotella for the price of one gallon of Rotella-T6. Sorry, I understand your reasoning for using T6 but to me, unless I can extend my change interval to 200 hours without having to worry, using synthetic is not a good idea. An extra six bucks for a filter, and the $28 I spend for conventional Rotella gives me TWO complete changes, and no matter how good synthetic oil is claimed to be, I will stick with conventional oil. I am sure a lot of the situation people have about using conventional vs. synthetic depends on how hard they use their equipment. If I were running full throttle every day for 40-50 hours a week, I would probably prefer Rotella T6.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
synthetics are comprised of the best parts of regular oil....if you knew how much useless crap is in the dino oil.....youd never go back.......and it does extend oil changes! :thumbsup:

Black Bart

Threads
synthetics are comprised of the best parts of regular oil....if you knew how much useless crap is in the dino oil.....youd never go back.......and it does extend oil changes! :thumbsup:

You are correct is does extend oil changes.
JD Green needs to go somewhere other than TBN to get advise on oil people their are giving out poor advise.

The average person picks his oil based on a slick commercial and if you ask them what the
TBN number is they will not know.
If you ask them what the TAN number is they will not know.
If you ask them what the ZDDP count is they don't know.
If you ask them what the CST is at 100C they will have no idea.
If you ask them if it is made from a GRP. ll or GRP. lll or GRP. lV they have no idea.
All they know is in their mind it is the best but they base that on NO scientific info. :confused2: