shaft size adapter

lscearce

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 3 5/32 shaft motor that I want to put in a lawn mower that had a 4 5/16 shaft motor.

Can this be done some how by modifying, converting or using some kind of adapter?

Thanks

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 3 5/32 shaft motor that I want to put in a lawn mower that had a 4 5/16 shaft motor. Can this be done some how by modifying, converting or using some kind of adapter? Thanks

What mower are you putting it on?

lscearce

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is a Craftsman ridding mower that had a Kohler 25 HP v-twin with a 4 5/16 shaft and I want to replace it with a Briggs and Stratton 24 HP v-twin with a 3 5/32 shaft.

Is there some kind of adapter for the shaft that will extent it to 4 5/16 shaft.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is a Craftsman ridding mower that had a Kohler 25 HP v-twin with a 4 5/16 shaft and I want to replace it with a Briggs and Stratton 24 HP v-twin with a 3 5/32 shaft. Is there some kind of adapter for the shaft that will extent it to 4 5/16 shaft.

In the same jam.
Only engines I can find all have the 3 5/32 shaft.

KrashnKraka

Threads
This is a Craftsman ridding mower that had a Kohler 25 HP v-twin with a 4 5/16 shaft and I want to replace it with a Briggs and Stratton 24 HP v-twin with a 3 5/32 shaft.

Is there some kind of adapter for the shaft that will extent it to 4 5/16 shaft.

Which measure is mission critical..the drive pulley or clutch assembly?

KK

lscearce

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which measure is mission critical..the drive pulley or clutch assembly?

KK

It seam there are two shift sizes used the most the 3 5/32" and the 4 5/16". I want to use the drive puller and clutch from the original motor which is 4 5/16". Therefor I want to extend the shaft to the 4 5/16 length. That way the belts will be in the same alignment at the original belts on the pulley. Some kind of sleeve over the 3 5/32 shift that would extend the length and the diameter to measure to the 4 5/16 measurements. The sleeve would have to have a split in it for the shaft key.

Hopefully this makes sense

gainestruk

Threads
I don't personally know of an adapter, you might find a local machine shop and tell them what you want to do and they might be able to come up with something to help you out.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
It seam there are two shift sizes used the most the 3 5/32" and the 4 5/16". I want to use the drive puller and clutch from the original motor which is 4 5/16". Therefor I want to extend the shaft to the 4 5/16 length. That way the belts will be in the same alignment at the original belts on the pulley. Some kind of sleeve over the 3 5/32 shift that would extend the length and the diameter to measure to the 4 5/16 measurements. The sleeve would have to have a split in it for the shaft key. Hopefully this makes sense

I just now got done with mine. 10 minutes ago.
Get a one inch hub from tractor supply.

KrashnKraka

Threads
It seam there are two shift sizes used the most the 3 5/32" and the 4 5/16". I want to use the drive puller and clutch from the original motor which is 4 5/16". Therefor I want to extend the shaft to the 4 5/16 length. That way the belts will be in the same alignment at the original belts on the pulley. Some kind of sleeve over the 3 5/32 shift that would extend the length and the diameter to measure to the 4 5/16 measurements. The sleeve would have to have a split in it for the shaft key.

Hopefully this makes sense

Yeup..no worries, onto it. So are others.
As <gainestruck> writes, if you cannot source off the shelf take the drive pulley and motor to a machine shop. You are onto belt alignment so would be able to quote a length required to fit clutch. Do make a note so you can pass on the mod to a new owner, one day :)

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeup..no worries, onto it. So are others. As <gainestruck> writes, if you cannot source off the shelf take the drive pulley and motor to a machine shop. You are onto belt alignment so would be able to quote a length required to fit clutch. Do make a note so you can pass on the mod to a new owner, one day :)

? ? ?