Severe drought here in California. Paint the lawn green ?

MowerMark

Threads
  • / Severe drought here in California. Paint the lawn green ?
We have a severe drought here in California, and my two front lawns require 60 mins. of water three times a week. The lawns look excellent now thanks to drilling, lime, and Milorganite®™ (as recommended here).

On the news there are some reports of people painting their lawns or changing to desert-type plants.

Has anyone here painted their lawn? For how long will it look good? What kind of paint is used? How long will it last?

zmister11

Threads
Hmm that's interesting, I've never heard of anyone painting their lawn before. Makes me curious

Nwatson99

Threads
I was reading about the drought you folks are going through and I am so sorry you folks are dealing with that. I also read where they are going to pass a law about no excessive water use due to the situation.

possum

Threads
It is rather expensive and time consuming for anything bigger than postage stamp lawns. Pros use a product applied in a hurry with large sprayers but around here most of them give results about like Drive By Spray Painters do on homes. The dye is fairy permanent on grass. On dirt it wears away in time. Grass just grows its way out of it. It looks very weird while its growing. The color looks like a over managed lawn. To green. To perfect. Lawn Pros sometimes get into the act in a droughty year over at Manhattan. It is kind of funny to observe browned lawns and then a single one with brilliant green. Even more funny when a zero turn is mowing this lawn in a cloud of dust. Was popular here in fall for real nice lawns with Bermuda grass invasion here and there. But the weird look as the grass grew burned everyone out. Though it had nothing to do with the company the joke here in town was That is a True Green Lawn. It stuck and now all the lawns in town with a sod lawn are called the same thing.

Snapperfreak

Threads
Tell me more about the drilling method. Is it similar to aerating? I'm here in CA too and am using good fertilizer and being very careful not to water too much, maybe 20 minutes every other day either early am or late pm. I know about gypsum but what's up with drilling?

MowerMark

Threads

Snapperfreak

Threads
Very good info, thanks for that link! I'm going to start with some drilling and add lime and see where that gets me.

txzrider

Threads
wow 3 hours of water a week seems like a whole lot of water.

MowerMark

Threads
wow 3 hours of water a week seems like a whole lot of water.

Four channels in the front, two in the back. The flow rate through the pop-ups are not as high as say the Hunters. The number of minutes does not always equate in flow.