Self Propelled Craftsman

Howdy Doody

Threads
I have an older model self propelled Craftsman mower and the rear bushings in the wheel are worn out. Sears does not sell just this part, have to buy both wheels which I am not going to do. I was wondering if anyone has knocked out these bushings and put in a proper set of sealed bearings?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
No I have not, give it a try or try your local hardware store for new bushings or Tractor Supply sells complete wheels at a low price. A man purchased front wheels complete for his rear engine rider Snapper at our local Tractor Supply for $14.99 a piece recently, yours should be considerably less expensive if you so choose to check it out.

Howdy Doody

Threads
Thanks Mark, will check out Tractor Supply. I think Sears also sell these, they are Arnold brand.

Howdy Doody

Threads
Just checked Tractor Supply, $20 per tire which is less them half of the Sear OEM price, but still more than I want to pay. Going to try the bearing route, will advise if I have good results.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have an older model self propelled Craftsman mower and the rear bushings in the wheel are worn out. Sears does not sell just this part, have to buy both wheels which I am not going to do. I was wondering if anyone has knocked out these bushings and put in a proper set of sealed bearings?

One of my many mechanic jobs through the many years of work I worked in a production line in manufacturing in which we had all the equipment and tools to do the job. This is something we did quit often. With the right equipment to do the job it is possible. You may have to re bore the wheels to find the right sealed bearings to fit. Other then that it will be Howdy Doody time finding the right sealed bearing to fit in place of the bushings. The best of luck on this and let us know how you make out. :thumbsup:

Howdy Doody

Threads
One of my many mechanic jobs through the many years of work I worked in a production line in manufacturing in which we had all the equipment and tools to do the job. This is something we did quit often. With the right equipment to do the job it is possible. You may have to re bore the wheels to find the right sealed bearings to fit. Other then that it will be Howdy Doody time finding the right sealed bearing to fit in place of the bushings. The best of luck on this and let us know how you make out. :thumbsup:

Completely agree Reynolds. I did find something I think will work on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLANGED-STE...N-PUSH-MOWER-189159-EPH-WHEELS-/291624352535?

I will send an update on how it worked of for me after the bearings arrive. The only thing that "worries" me a bit is pushing out the old bushing. Hope
they did not glue this part in and it is only pressed in.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If they did glue the bushing in witch I doubt, some times just a very little heat will soften the glue. Just make sure you support the wheels well before pressing out the old bushings.

Howdy Doody

Threads
If they did glue the bushing in witch I doubt, some times just a very little heat will soften the glue. Just make sure you support the wheels well before pressing out the old bushings.

Yes sir, that is my plan. Support the wheel really well and then try to knock out the bushing using a socket and a mallet. If that does not work, might try a little heat and do the same thing again. if that does not work, maybe use a hot knife tip on my soldering iron.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes sir, that is my plan. Support the wheel really well and then try to knock out the bushing using a socket and a mallet. If that does not work, might try a little heat and do the same thing again. if that does not work, maybe use a hot knife tip on my soldering iron.

That was always my method till I bought the 20 ton shop press. One of my better investments.

Howdy Doody

Threads
Well, purchased the rear tire bearings (from ebay) and replaced really easy. The OEM from Sears is actually rubber bushing and they is one on each side of the tire and a spacer in the middle. I used a small hook and pulled them both out and the bearings were a direct fit using the same bushing that came with them. Super easy to do and it rolls so much better now!