Self propel not propelling

dehrhard513

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks, I have a walk behind 21" J830 series mower. I recently picked it up for 50 clams from a friend of mine who didn't need it anymore. Here's the skinny, the engine runs fantastic, but the self propel is all kinds of goofed up. My friend stated that it was fine before he decided to replace the height adjustment lever.
Only the right side (when standing behind the mower) wheel will turn. The other side will not. It's usable, but I would sure like it to function correctly.
Couple of more details. When you pull the mower backwards, drive disengaged, it makes a grinding/whirring noise with some tire drag. Pulled off the left side tire, (by the height adjustment) took off the sprocket and guard, noticed the bearing seal had been broken, bearings do turn free. Mower will only turn left without dragging a tire. Right hand turns lock both back tires.\
Spun the pully on the transmission and both sprockets turned under the wheels.

Sorry, I'm having difficulties describing the problem's symptoms.

BTW changing the oil on this mower is a chore!:laughing:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
50 $ is a good deal and leaves you a lot of area to improve the mower you got... If it has a bad bearing,
remove it and take to an industrial bearing supplier... they will be able to sell you the correct type and size... you do not have to get bearings at any particular dealer... :smile:KennyV

dehrhard513

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Kenny, I'll check into that. Suppose that's the wheel locking problem while going in reverse?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Suppose that's the wheel locking problem while going in reverse?

Thats hard to guess... but bad bearings are not going to help...

You might check the height adjuster that he removed to see if it is getting into the wheel drive mechanism...
the wheels should have some type of 'ratcheting' arrangement that will allow you to push it faster than it is driven that also allows one wheel to turn faster during a turn... :smile:KennyV

dehrhard513

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks again Kenny, looks like I've got a little work ahead of me :cool: