Seeding with Bermudagrass

Styrcke

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to this house in Oklahoma two years ago we quickly realized it was missing a "yard". We had weeds!!

First thing done was to fence-in a good size area and throw down some seed. All things considered I decided to use a pretty good Bermudagrass blend from Seedland. Last year I installed a sprinkler system and planted more seed. This Spring I'm concentrating on eliminating as many weeds as possible. Oklahoma must be the dandelion capital of the world! I'm planning to plant more seed by mid May.

I would like to get the most out of this next seeding. It would be good to get out there with a rake to loosen as much soil as possible before I seed or at least use a "topper" but that doesn't seem practical. Is there something my mower can pull over the lawn to loosen soil without tearing up what is there?

What should I do to ensure good results from my next seeding?

possum

Threads
I would imagine if you are allergic to the rake thing a rented or hired verticutter is in order. Your seed will get very good contact with one of these units. Hiring a slit seeder is good as well. Sod is the best bet.

Styrcke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the useful input. Using one of these machines sure seems to be a practical way to effectively seed 20,000 square feet riddled with bare spots. Thanks again, I didn't know something like a verticutter existed.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Spray the weeds with roundup while the Bermuda is still brown. Will kill the weeds and not hurt the Bermuda.
Bermuda is a very fine seed we mix it with sand. Bermuda grows best in sand.

Styrcke

Forum Newbie
Threads
All of the dandelions, other broadleaf and some of the miscellaneous out-of-place stuff was sprayed thoroughly before the Bermuda turned green. B/T/W it seems the Roundup Concentrate Plus with the red cap is not as effective as the older concentrate with the blue cap. (I mix 6 oz per gallon).

Regardless, I will try to locate locally a "virticutter" and seed with Bermuda. Carscw: Are you saying I should mix it with sand in "verticutter"? My soil is not too sandy but the grass doesn't seem to mind.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
All of the dandelions, other broadleaf and some of the miscellaneous out-of-place stuff was sprayed thoroughly before the Bermuda turned green. B/T/W it seems the Roundup Concentrate Plus with the red cap is not as effective as the older concentrate with the blue cap. (I mix 6 oz per gallon). Regardless, I will try to locate locally a "virticutter" and seed with Bermuda. Carscw: Are you saying I should mix it with sand in "verticutter"? My soil is not too sandy but the grass doesn't seem to mind.

Bermuda will grow anywhere but likes sand the best. Farmers call it a weed it takes over everything.

We mix sand with the seed when using a spreader it helps to spread the seed even over the ground.

To fill in bald spots just water the bald spots and the grass will go to them.

When I went to school years ago when working on a golf course. We took a piece of Bermuda sod and put it on a concrete slab and watered it every day. In 30 days it doubled in size and rooted to the slab.

Styrcke

Forum Newbie
Threads
I didn't realise that Bermudagrass was so robust. Based on what you're telling me, how important is it that I use the verticutter for planting seed? For my purpose Bermudagrass sounds perfect, I hope it crowds out some of my weeds.

Thanks