Second opinion on Stihl weed eater

Blamendola

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have been using a Stihl 56 RC-E for about two years now. I have a neighborhood lawn business so I mow about 4-5 lawns a week. This may sound crazy, but when I bought the weed eater from a local dealer, the salesman that sold it to me said to use 93% octane fuel WITHOUT any oil mixed in. I have two other people that were there at the time of purchase that also remember him telling me that. So for close to two years now I have been running it with just 93% octane fuel, and we have had no problems with it. The other day my pull start broke so I brought it into the shop. A couple days later they call me to tell me that my engine is broken because I have been running only gas through it. I went in today to tell them why I was only using gas without oil(because THEY told me to), and they said that none of their salesmen would ever say that. They even told me that it was pretty much impossible that it has survived this long. Anyways, I don't want to spend $300 on a new weed eater because of their mistake. What do you guys think I should do?

scott47429

Threads
well unless you can produce the other people to back you up i don't think there is anything you will be able to do and i find it rather hard to understand how it has ran this long with no oil i don't know if that would be possible thats alot of run time on it good luck with it i wish you the best

Blamendola

Forum Newbie
Threads
well, the two others would be more than willing to come with me to the store, but even then I don't know if they would believe us. When I found out that it should have had an oil mix, I couldn't believe that it ran for that long! I seriously have no idea how it survived this long!

Threads
well, the two others would be more than willing to come with me to the store, but even then I don't know if they would believe us. When I found out that it should have had an oil mix, I couldn't believe that it ran for that long! I seriously have no idea how it survived this long!

Yeah, I am surprised, also!! Usually it kills them really quickly I thought!!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello, I have been using a Stihl 56 RC-E for about two years now. I have a neighborhood lawn business so I mow about 4-5 lawns a week. This may sound crazy, but when I bought the weed eater from a local dealer, the salesman that sold it to me said to use 93% octane fuel WITHOUT any oil mixed in. I have two other people that were there at the time of purchase that also remember him telling me that. So for close to two years now I have been running it with just 93% octane fuel, and we have had no problems with it. The other day my pull start broke so I brought it into the shop. A couple days later they call me to tell me that my engine is broken because I have been running only gas through it. I went in today to tell them why I was only using gas without oil(because THEY told me to), and they said that none of their salesmen would ever say that. They even told me that it was pretty much impossible that it has survived this long. Anyways, I don't want to spend $300 on a new weed eater because of their mistake. What do you guys think I should do?

The first thing you or anyone else should have done when you purchased the trimmer or any equipment is read the manual. When you go back to buy any more equipment ask to speak to a mechanic, never believe a sales person.

As for what to do about the situation, there's nothing you can do, even if you go back with the people that were with you and they tell them the same thing they wouldn't take there word for it either, and besides it only has a two year warranty and you said you had been using it that long. Your choices come down to rebuilding it if it's worth doing or buying a new trimmer. You said your pull start broke, is that all that's wrong or is the motor seized up? if it's just the pull start that's an easy fix.

thse

Threads
Its hard to think someone would say that. But the sad part is there is nothing you can really do. And i dont know if I can buy that it ran for 2 years before crapping out

lunytune2

Threads
I would buy a new one from a different Stihl dealer.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
I would say u need to try to in sezz the motor with oil in the cylinder and a little diesel and starter fluid I found this on YouTube but the 2 year part I am not buy at all sorry :thumbdown:

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads

well unless you can produce the other people to back you up i don't think there is anything you will be able to do and i find it rather hard to understand how it has ran this long with no oil i don't know if that would be possible thats alot of run time on it good luck with it i wish you the best

Yeah, I am surprised, also!! Usually it kills them really quickly I thought!!

The first thing you or anyone else should have done when you purchased the trimmer or any equipment is read the manual. When you go back to buy any more equipment ask to speak to a mechanic, never believe a sales person.

As for what to do about the situation, there's nothing you can do, even if you go back with the people that were with you and they tell them the same thing they wouldn't take there word for it either, and besides it only has a two year warranty and you said you had been using it that long. Your choices come down to rebuilding it if it's worth doing or buying a new trimmer. You said your pull start broke, is that all that's wrong or is the motor seized up? if it's just the pull start that's an easy fix.

Its hard to think someone would say that. But the sad part is there is nothing you can really do. And i dont know if I can buy that it ran for 2 years before crapping out

I would buy a new one from a different Stihl dealer.

I would say u need to try to in sezz the motor with oil in the cylinder and a little diesel and starter fluid I found this on YouTube but the 2 year part I am not buy at all sorry :thumbdown:

Between all of us and all that will look i took 93 gas like one qoutes says and it lasted 2 hours and sized up in a 2 cycle trimmers :thumbdown: so i have fixed all the ??? about how it last so there no way with out oil no way would it last two years THANKS also i talk to sthil today and they said that that even if they have a repersitive tell them this it has a thing on the motor that says 50:1 mixed gas :2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents: :eek::thumbdown:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Between all of us and all that will look i took 93 gas like one qoutes says and it lasted 2 hours and sized up in a 2 cycle trimmers :thumbdown: so i have fixed all the ??? about how it last so there no way with out oil no way would it last two years THANKS also i talk to sthil today and they said that that even if they have a repersitive tell them this it has a thing on the motor that says 50:1 mixed gas :2cents::2cents::2cents::2cents: :eek::thumbdown:

It may be true that the higher octane gas mix may be better to run and better on the machine but octane rating on gas is not going to have any bearing on how long the unit will last in this circumstance. 87 octane would have achieved the same results.
I think in this case there was a misunderstanding when the sales person said to use 93% octane fuel WITHOUT any oil mixed in. I'm thinking It was probably meant to be gas without ethanol not without oil.
Now I can't say who was at fault in the misunderstanding but regardless I don't believe the unit would have lasted two years without the proper mix.