Seat saftey switch

imatthewfrix

Threads
When you ask a question and don't like the answer, why get mad at those that answer you. You know it is illegal to alter safety features, but still get mad at those of us when we won't help you do something illegal. We are not 13 either and have learned (sometimes the hard way) that you have to play within the rules, even if we don't like or agree with them. As I said earlier, no reputable tech will tell you how, especially here where no one even knows who you are. We have to protect ourselves, and you may not believe this, but it is not that hard to identify most members.

Im not mad, not at al, its just a little frustrating that i cant figure it out and that no one can seem to help me. Iv searched google for 2 hours and cant find nothing im looking for, and i peetty sure i read some tthreads on here about someone wanting bypass there safety switch and they had no problem getting and answer

tom-ky

Threads
Hate to say this, but all the good techs are not going the tell you how to change, bypass, or alter any safety devices. It is against the law for us to do so. Just to let you know that if you take it in to a reputable repair shop for service, they will remove any alteration and put it back in as manufactured condition, at your expense.

Curious question, turned wrenches for about 30 years now but not on mowers. How can you remove any alteration and charge the owner to do so without their permission? It is their property and they have to authorize any repairs. You have the responsibility to tell them it is wrong and hopefully document it in writing. I have worked on equipment man lifts and cranes, we could inform the owner it was unsafe but it was their equipment so they did as they pleased. I know it is not right but it happens.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you see changes to any safety devises, you must inform the customer that he has to make one of two choises, either he will take the unit somewhere else or you get everything back to manufactured order and work on their unit. Even if is just a tune-up or blade sharpening. It also has to do with your liability coverage, where they spell out the rules very carefully. Even asking the to sign waivers does not hold up in ground in this day and age. CYA, is it worth your livelihood if you are in this business???

tom-ky

Threads
When you see changes to any safety devises, you must inform the customer that he has to make one of two choises, either he will take the unit somewhere else or you get everything back to manufactured order and work on their unit. Even if is just a tune-up or blade sharpening. It also has to do with your liability coverage, where they spell out the rules very carefully. Even asking the to sign waivers does not hold up in ground in this day and age. CYA, is it worth your livelihood if you are in this business???

We can't do that in our business. I am a factory field rep for a large equipment manufacturer that has equipment in industrial and commercial equipment. We can tag the unit out, inform the customer that it is unsafe, document it on the work order but it is their equipment and they choose what to do with it. Amazing how different industries operate and my employer is a company with over 2,000 employees, over 400 field reps like me. I personally bill about $150,000 in labor a year so they are not a small time business.

For what it is worth I would not do business with a business that made repairs that I did not approve, from the shop's stand point if I felt the unit was unsafe, I would quote the proper repairs and if the customer refused I would refuse to work on it to CYA.

Rivets, Never had a mower worked on as I do my own work. Is that standard practice? Not picking a argument but just curious. I have been in auto and truck fleets, industrial and construction equipment and they could never get away with that.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Maybe my last post wasn't clear. Our customer has to make a choice, either go some place else or have the alterations outback before we do any work on their unit. I know there are people who will repair altered units, but not us. You and I are working with a totally different customer base and mentality. I deal with people who have no idea how their equipment works and proper maintainance. That's one reason we have to do it this way.

tom-ky

Threads
Maybe my last post wasn't clear. Our customer has to make a choice, either go some place else or have the alterations outback before we do any work on their unit. I know there are people who will repair altered units, but not us. You and I are working with a totally different customer base and mentality. I deal with people who have no idea how their equipment works and proper maintainance. That's one reason we have to do it this way.

Oh the dummies are on my side too, companies buy $50,000 machine and pay minimum wage for somebody to run it. Time to do maintenance and they freak out at the price, these things have lots of wear parts on them and they don't understand you have to do more than change oil. I applaud you for wanting to do things right, one lawsuit could ruin you. I just did not see the part about the choice, my bad for overlooking that.

There are a lot of people out in the work force running equipment that make me wonder how they find their way home at the end of the day. So I really understand the part about how people don't understand how things work, I make lots of service calls over operator errors.

imatthewfrix

Threads
Im with tom on this, i made my mower unsafe for a reason why would i want some stupid repair shop make my mower safe again and overcharge me for it... i do my own work and my own maintnace. Ive been to a lawn mower shop 4 times and that was to buy a coil that had to be order, go pick it up and the same for 2head gaskets i had to buy..
But after i got overcharged for the coil i bought i wont go back to a repair shop i buy my parts onlne.. another reason i do my own maintnence is i ask a them at the repair shop what the torque specs were fpr my head bolts and they told me "oh we dont torque them down we just crank them on with an impact"
Well whether head bolts on a mower need to be torque down or not i know you shouldnt use an impact on them.. and im not talking about some little repair shop in an barn im talking about one thats been here for years, there dealers to.

But anyways we stop this thread cause i figured it out, i had to start cutting wires on my mower to figure it out cause no one would tell me how to do it...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm the mechanic at your stupid repair shop who you are asking for assistance in your posts. Guess I know where the techs and mechanics on this forum stand in your eyes. Glad most people don't feel the same as you or I would have to waste all my time here.

tom-ky

Threads
Im with tom on this, i made my mower unsafe for a reason why would i want some stupid repair shop make my mower safe again and overcharge me for it... i do my own work and my own maintnace. Ive been to a lawn mower shop 4 times and that was to buy a coil that had to be order, go pick it up and the same for 2head gaskets i had to buy..
But after i got overcharged for the coil i bought i wont go back to a repair shop i buy my parts onlne.. another reason i do my own maintnence is i ask a them at the repair shop what the torque specs were fpr my head bolts and they told me "oh we dont torque them down we just crank them on with an impact"
Well whether head bolts on a mower need to be torque down or not i know you shouldnt use an impact on them.. and im not talking about some little repair shop in an barn im talking about one thats been here for years, there dealers to.

But anyways we stop this thread cause i figured it out, i had to start cutting wires on my mower to figure it out cause no one would tell me how to do it...

I am not bashing Rivets just trying clarify what he was saying. I have turned wrenches for about 30 years and try to do the right repair. Patched lots of things at owner's requests before but really strive for safe repairs. Drove off and left equipment in the field before because someone wanted it running but could not do so safely. Don't bash him for trying to do what is right, if he skimps on a repair and some one got hurt he would feel responsible. I only questioned him regarding making the repairs without the owner's approval, which he says he gets of sends them down the road. I agree with what he is doing, only thing I would complain about is someone doing the repairs without approval.

imatthewfrix

Threads
The neighbor wanted to know if there was a way to allow his mower to go in reverse while the deck was engaged cause everytime he disengaged the deck the belt would pop off, so i told him yeah, i unhooked the reverse safety switch and it went in reverse with the deck engaged.. a little while later he took his mower to the same repair shop/dealer i mentioned above to get an oil change along with new belts and blades installed, you know how he got it back?

With the reverse safety switch still unplugged and then 2 days later the motor lost compression.. what a bunch of great mechanics there.. and again this repair shop/dealer has been around for, id say 50+ years..