SD Blades Level

timlab55

Threads
They look like those, but according to my dealer the one's I have are med and not Hi Lifts.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
They look like those, but according to my dealer the one's I have are med and not Hi Lifts.
Regardless of what the dealer says, those blades I linked to are the direct aftermarket replacement blades for the standard Hustler blades.
For cutting Bahia grass:
Sharp blades.
Deck needs to be level from side to side and a slight pitch down in the front.
Engine should be run at full throttle.
Ground speed should be reduced.
Height of cut should be 3”and should be mowed every 7 days.

I can cut Bahia grass and never leave a seed stalk standing, in one pass. I have my deck pitched down 1/8” in the front. Sharp blades go on at every 12 hours of run time.

Last edited:

timlab55

Threads
@MParr - Just a few questions about what you posted early.
#1: I was thinking I was sharping my blades the right way or not. Is there a good temp plate or something out there that can guide me in doing it?
#2: When not to cut the grass?
#3: YOu mentioned 1/8". Which bolts do you turn the two front one's? If the front one's, Approx how many turns would that be on the bolts?
Thanks
Dan

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just free hand sharpen with a 4 1/2” angle grinder fitted with a 40 grit flapper. Follow the original angle.
Cut you some 2x4s or 4x4s. Cut 2 at 3 1/2” long and 2 at 3 5/8” long. Set your height selector pin to 3 1/2”. The outside blades should be facing front to rear. Slide the 3 1/2” block under the front facing blade tip and 3 5/8” block under the rear facing blade tip. These blocks should just slide under the blade tips.
Number of turns? That really doesn’t matter. Turn the bolts CW or CCW until the blocks slide under the blade tips.
Best time to cut? It depends. You certainly don’t want to cut if the grass is soaking wet.

Johner

Threads
Not sure of the science behind it but, I have this Snapper, every time mowing dandelions or tall weeds I would look back and they were never touched at least a lot of them. Plagued me for a long time finally called the company and they advised me to lower the front of the deck and it worked.