Scotts (John Deere) 17hp 42" Deck #S1742

hurst1979olds

Threads
I just picked this up for $60. The guy was going to give it to me but I felt bad for just taking it. It is a 17hp John Deere (Scotts) 17hp mower. It is a 2000. The guy owned it since new and he is very meticulous and this mower has new tie rods, pulleys, belts, fresh tune up, new blades, battery is 1 year old, new front and rear tires and rims. He is throwing in extra new blades, PTO pulley, starter solenoid, 1 used front and 1 rear rim and tires. But he decided to buy a new mower because this one is acting up.

I already posted this in the repair sections but I figured I would ask again. When you start it up the thing revs up and down and you can see the governor moving. If you steady the governor it runs great. When you engage the blades it smooths out as well. But you can faintly hear a popping from it running rough.

Should I just take the carburetor apart, clean it and slap it back together or is there something I should check or adjust.

Attachments

• IMAG0612.jpg
    IMAG0612.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 17

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would have the carb either give a carb soaking bath in a carb cleaning solution, or have it ultrasonically cleaned. Then put in a co poetry rebuild kit. At the price you paid, should be worth sticking a little more money into it.

hurst1979olds

Threads
I am having a bit of trouble locating a LH side foot tread. This one is all tore up from the heal from clutching it. I looked on ebay but cannot find one. Is there an actual John Deere model that is similar to this?

friend4him

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have recently received on of these mowers but need a belt diagram is there anyway you can take a picture of yours for me? I have one pully that did not come with it so seeing where it goes would be helpful.