Scotts 50567x8 rider, Kohler 20hp, 50" deck

prangster

Threads
Well I needed a mower in a hurry and ended up with this well-used Scotts rider.

Question 1 Can't find an owners manual anywhere! My research indicates this mower was made by Murray. Is that correct? If so I wonder if there is Murray wth the same specs as the Scotts mower. If I can't find a Scotts manual how about a Murray version? I need to know how the deck attaches, service specs on mower, deck and engine.
Question 2 My research indicates a hydraulic drive but I find no filler or drains for the rear end. Not hydraulic drive?
Question 3 The deck is pretty rotten. Any pointers on shoring up a see-through deck?
I only need a couple of years of usage. If there is a matching deck from Murray I could maybe swap them and get a bit more service from the mower.
Question 4 There is a knob missing on the 'dashboard' at the bottom. Love to know what it is for.

I would appreciate any response. I am a retired type person and have plenty of time but having a manual will save me a lot of effort and will help me keep this old baby running for a few more years at least. Thank you!

prangster

Threads
Don’t know if this link will be of any help, but is a start. Can't find much info. http://www.partsandservice.com/html/Murray/lt/lt50567x8.html
Thanks for that. The diagrams are helpful. I usually go to manuals.com but my antivirus won't let me go there any more. If I can't find a manual I suppose I'll have to tear it down to figure it out. The mower is noisy under way and I'm a bit concerned about the drive. All good though. I've got almost nothing in the mower and I need a project to get me off the sofa. All the best to you and yours!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most likely if the noise is moving only be the idler pulley bearings. The way these are made you replace the pulleys.

Now is a different story as you need to some patching of deck by cut and welding new sheet metal. Then pulleys and spindles that might replacing.

prangster

Threads
Yeah, the deck is sub optimal (!) to the point I don't think it's worth fixing. I also think this mower was produced under various badges so the chances of finding used parts is good if I can figure out what the other makes and model numbers are. The engine sounds good so this might be a good project if the drive is OK.
Thanks for the info!