Scag Turf Tiger Hydraulic Fluid - What to use!!?? Help!

benski

Threads
  • / Scag Turf Tiger Hydraulic Fluid - What to use!!?? Help!
I, too, can't imagine why SCAG wouldn't recommend the use of a synthetic lube that would meet the needs of the pump manufacturer.:confused2:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
It all depends on what the pump/wheel motor manufacturer calls for. Synthetic motor oil has relentless detergent qualities to it and this may be undesireable in some pumps/wheel motors.
Years ago I switched my hydraulic drive Ingersoll GTs to 20W50 synthetic and so far haven't had any problems, but now with ZTRs my Ingersolls don't get many hours on them. My Onan powered Ingersoll GT was much easier to start in cold weather with synthetic oil in the hydraulic system.
I've never heard of Hy-Tran Plus/Ultra but I don't deal much with hydrostatic drive machines and that may be why. Are the high end CC ZTRs pump and wheel motor driven? I know that the GTs are all hydrostatic and fortunately the state of the art in hydrostatic drive units has improved. I have heard of some with lots of hours on them with no drive problems other than belts.
I had a customer/friend that used Simplicity GTs in his lawn care business and I replaced several hydrostatic drive units in his machines for him. He retired from the lawn care stuff in 2004 due to a back injury. All his Simplicity GTs were from the 80s.
Mad Mackie in CT:biggrin::laughing:

Tdog

Threads
I, too, can't imagine why SCAG wouldn't recommend the use of a synthetic lube that would meet the needs of the pump manufacturer.:confused2:

I called my local Scag dealer and they recommended Mobil 20W-50

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Scag and other mower manufacturers must go along with what the pump and wheel motor manufacturers recommend for use in their products. Newer and higher end hydrostatic drives have been changed to full synthetic oil, but here again, the manufacturer of the drive unit has specified the type of oil to be used in their products and not the mower manufacturer. Compliance with the manufacturers specifications is necessary to maintain warranty requirements while the machine and or components are still on warranty, when the warranty has expired, then the operator is on their own. However maintaining specs is highly recommended.

Last edited: