Scag SW36 WB Belt Drive stuck in neutral (turns off if you shift gear out of neutral)

jedthepiratesfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Scag SW36 WB Belt Drive stuck in neutral (turns off if you shift gear out of neutral)
Scag SW36 13-ka belt drive

The mower is stuck in neutral. I turn it on and bring the choke to fast or slow, doesn't matter, and once i try and shift into 1 or any other gear the mower shuts off.

I actually just got this mower used Today. It is like a 1998 i think.
HERES THE WEIRD PART: I playing with the mower on my street, making turns shifting gears, no big deal.
I shut the mower off. 5 Minutes later i start it up again and I try to move it out of neutral. and it shuts the mower off. I've tried it numerous times and it still shuts off once i try to move out of neutral.

IMG_0490.JPG

I'm not sure whats wrong.. it was working fine earlier and POOF its not.
Thanks for the help.

IMG_0489.JPGIMG_0491.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Scag SW36 WB Belt Drive stuck in neutral (turns off if you shift gear out of neutral)
Check the parking brake.
A lot of mowers can not be put into gear with the brake on

Derek101

Threads
Look for a reverse safety switch may be stuck or brake switch stuck they sometimes get a build up of grass and dirt

jedthepiratesfan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the parking brake.
A lot of mowers can not be put into gear with the brake on

Not the Parking brake. the mower doesnt even have a parking brake... and if it did it wouldnt be able to move in neutral like it can

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Every riding mower has a parking brake some where
On some it is the last position on the gear change on others is is a seperate lever to lock the brake/clutch pedel in place and some have a dedicated brake.
Some thing is turning the engine off when you put it into gear.
There are two usual engine kill situations, PTO ignored.
Engaging a gear with the brake on
Dissengaging the brake without a bum in the seat.
Download the owners manual as check you have all the controls in the correct positions.

Engaging the PTO without a bum in the seat will kill the mower
and on some
reversing , PTO engaged will kill the engine.

If you are doing everthing correctly then look at the seat switch

Derek101

Threads
Is the mower load stopping when you put it into gear if so carburettor may be dirty and not letting enough fuel through when under load and stalling.