Export thread

Scag SW36 WB Belt Drive stuck in neutral (turns off if you shift gear out of neutral)

J

jedthepiratesfan

Scag SW36 13-ka belt drive

The mower is stuck in neutral. I turn it on and bring the choke to fast or slow, doesn't matter, and once i try and shift into 1 or any other gear the mower shuts off.

I actually just got this mower used Today. It is like a 1998 i think.
HERES THE WEIRD PART: I playing with the mower on my street, making turns shifting gears, no big deal.
I shut the mower off. 5 Minutes later i start it up again and I try to move it out of neutral. and it shuts the mower off. I've tried it numerous times and it still shuts off once i try to move out of neutral.

IMG_0490.JPG

I'm not sure whats wrong.. it was working fine earlier and POOF its not.
Thanks for the help.

IMG_0489.JPGIMG_0491.JPG

B

bertsmobile1

Check the parking brake.
A lot of mowers can not be put into gear with the brake on

D

Derek101

Look for a reverse safety switch may be stuck or brake switch stuck they sometimes get a build up of grass and dirt

J

jedthepiratesfan

Check the parking brake.
A lot of mowers can not be put into gear with the brake on

Not the Parking brake. the mower doesnt even have a parking brake... and if it did it wouldnt be able to move in neutral like it can

B

bertsmobile1

Every riding mower has a parking brake some where
On some it is the last position on the gear change on others is is a seperate lever to lock the brake/clutch pedel in place and some have a dedicated brake.
Some thing is turning the engine off when you put it into gear.
There are two usual engine kill situations, PTO ignored.
Engaging a gear with the brake on
Dissengaging the brake without a bum in the seat.
Download the owners manual as check you have all the controls in the correct positions.

Engaging the PTO without a bum in the seat will kill the mower
and on some
reversing , PTO engaged will kill the engine.

If you are doing everthing correctly then look at the seat switch

D

Derek101

Is the mower load stopping when you put it into gear if so carburettor may be dirty and not letting enough fuel through when under load and stalling.