S2000 61" intermittent starter engagement

fox5flyer

Threads
My Ferris ZT 30hp BS Vanguard has an intermittent start problem. Turning the key to start mode, it may take several tries before the solenoid engages. Maybe just a few tries, sometimes maybe 8 or 10 before the starter engages which is typical for other solenoid problems in previous vs I've had. Sometimes it hits on first try. It's been slowly getting worse and I'm unable to find a solenoid on it's own for replacement, but the complete aftermarket starter off Amazon is relatively inexpensive and I've never had one fail. But after having a look at what replacement access entails it appears the engine will have to be removed. Is this correct or am I missing something here?

Attachments

• 1687621462305.png
    1687621462305.png
    806.4 KB · Views: 1

fox5flyer

Threads
My apology for poor proof reading. The mower is an IS2000Z.
Sorry

mountaincut

Threads
I have a Ferris Evolution that was giving me starter issues it ended up needing to have the safety switches adjusted, of which there are many.

The two that I needed to adjust were the switch associated with the operators' seat and the switch on the emergency brake.

Honest Abe

Threads
two ? 's
1 - is your machine left out in the rain -
if so,
2 - does the key have a protective cover on it -
if not,
then (much like I found out the hard way),
you may need a new key switch due to water getting inside and corroding parts.

fox5flyer

Threads
two ? 's
1 - is your machine left out in the rain -
if so,
2 - does the key have a protective cover on it -
if not,
then (much like I found out the hard way),
Appreciate the response, Abe.
- Never left out in rain since I bought it used with 3 years ago with 140TT on it, but don't know if previous owner did. I doubt it though as there is no indication anywhere, like rusty bolts, etc. Now has about 350TT.
- Yes, key has original protective cover.
- From what I can see, it appears that a new switch would be easiest and least expensive. Removing the starter appears to be an engine-pull. Last resort on that one.
Currently using key, takes several tries for starter to engage, clicking each time. Could the key switch do that?
Thanks,
Darrel

Honest Abe

Threads
that's basically what my switch was doing;
and, a new switch has obviously cured my starting issue.
good luck

two ? 's
1 - is your machine left out in the rain
if so,
2 - does the key have a protective cover on it
if not,
then (much like I found out the hard way)
Appreciate the response, Abe.
- Never left out in rain since I bought it used with 3 years ago with 140TT on it, but don't know if previous owner did. I doubt it though as there is no indication anywhere, like rusty bolts, etc. Now has about 350TT.
- Yes, key has original protective cover.
- From what I can see, it appears that a new switch would be easiest and least expensive. Removing the starter appears to be an engine-pull. Last resort on that one.
Currently using key, takes several tries for starter to engage, clicking each time. Could the key switch do that?
Thanks,
Darrel

fox5flyer

Threads
that's basically what my switch was doing;
and, a new switch has obviously cured my starting issue.
good luck

two ? 's
1 - is your machine left out in the rain
if so,
2 - does the key have a protective cover on it
if not,
then (much like I found out the hard way)
Hi, Abe. Farming is one of those occupations where prioritizing is how things get done. The intermittent starting issue took a back seat as I was always able to get it to start (eventually), but was gradually getting worse, which got me thinking. So, this being March 2024 I had a little time and brought the 2000Z into the shop for a diagnosis. First thing I thought about was "what is the cheapest thing I can replace"? That was the ignition switch, like you suggested. So ordered a $20 ebay switch complete with rubber rain cover, and installed it, simple and quick to do. Guess what, problem solved! No need for a new starter or pulling the engine. Whahooo! Thanks, Abe. I love this forum.