RZT 54 wheel speeds differ

GulfCoast Navet

Forum Newbie
Threads
When cutting my yard, the left side is not quite as fast as the right side. If I push both handles all the way forward, I'll do a big circle to the left. Any idea what is wrong? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
First make sure the rear wheels have the same PSI. If tire pressure is even and still uneven speed adjust the handle forward stops to make it even.

Last edited:

GulfCoast Navet

Forum Newbie
Threads
First make sure the rest wheels have the same PSI. If tire pressure is even and still uneven speed adjust the handle forward stops to make it even.
They stop at the same position. I have to hold the left side a little short in order to get it to go straight.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The left side goes bad a lot quicker than the right side
reasons
1) left gets a lot more dust & debris on it so the oil overheats
2) left side is on the push side of the engine belt so the belt tends to slip on the left pulley.
Thus the left pulley turns slower which creates a lot more wear on the left hydro

If you search this forum just using "left Hydro" and then using "right hydro" you will see lefts outnumber the rights 10:1
Better quality ZTR's used a single pump then two motors and these always pull strait
Cheaper ones use 2 pump motor units each with their own belt
Bottom end ones use 2 pump motor units on a single belt.

To overcome this problem reputable manufacturers like Toro & JD changed the belt run to give the right belt the std 120 deg of contact with the belt and then shifted the tensioner back & to the right to give the left hydro 180 deg of contact with the belt .

Husqvarna & MTD don't give a stuff but they will happily sell you a replacement left hydro and a hefty mark up .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Consult your operators manual. There are neutral and tracking adjustments that need to be made.