Ryobi cranking problems

krismanten

Threads
We have worked on two ryobis in the past few months. Both were hard to start and only ran a few minutes, we replaced the carb on both units. fixed the running problem but both of them were very hard to fire afterwards. After a few minutes of cranking both would fire, both units were made by mtd. Any suggestions?

chance123

Threads
Not sure what kind of machine you are referring to, because you left that information out. A lot of the Ryobi machine are considered disposable machines. Check your compression. On those 2 stroke engines, if your compression is 85 PSI or less, it means that your rings are worn and maybe the hard chrome plating has worn off the cyl. If you remove the muffler, rotate the engine until the piston is at BDC (all the way down) and look through the exhaust port at the walls of the cyl and piston for scoreing. Also,, you might find carbon build up in the exhaust port. I have seen it plugged except for a tiny pin hole. Carefully scrape this carbon out.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 790R is still down (lazy not needed just now) . I loved that machine for 10 years. You may be right about them "sealing" the units expecting you to throw it out. I had indexing noise so I pulled it apart down to the clutch which had an "anti personnel " hold down screw. Had to cut it off. The replacement was bagged up with a normal T-20 fastener....go figure. Anyway the noise was the pick-up coil just kissing the flywheel magnet (polished spot). The problem is adjusted out with the slotted pick-up body.The Ryobi is one of the best running tools I ever had. Wish the Crafstman dyt 4000 was half as good (MTD , I think)