RYOBI 775r

Grassbandit

Threads
My trimmer starts and runs perfectly, but the actual trimmer head or spool or whatever you want to call it has an odd issue.
The string lengthens on its own! I mean there is no need to bump feed. Load with string, screw on the bump tip and start up first few seconds it works fine, after that the string just gets longer and longer.
Anyone know whats going on here and how I can fix it?
DSC_0086[1].jpg

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is the spring there?
Wind the string the other Direction.

Grassbandit

Threads
Is the spring there?
Wind the string the other Direction.

There is one spring present on top of the bump screw...the string can only go in one direction since its a wind up method of loading. The spool only allows you to turn anti clockwise.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have seen the mechanism inside the head get gummed up with grass and such, resulting in the mechanism slipping. I have also seen them wear, and slip.

Grassbandit

Threads
I have seen the mechanism inside the head get gummed up with grass and such, resulting in the mechanism slipping. I have also seen them wear, and slip.

Thanks for the reply, I'll post pics of the inside of the trimmer spool, maybe you guys can see something I dont.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why do you say you can only wind one direction? My 790R spool has arrow directions on the black spool. When it died I replaced it with a Sears weed whacker which had ( I thought) the identical 2 stroke engine. It has the click system which allowed me to use the Ryobi stalk and bump head. When I started it the line feed went nuts-kind of like you describe. On a hunch I rewound the line opposite to the arrow-voila, it feeds ok. I have not tried to confirm the 2 engines run in different directions, but... Like cars says, try winding the other way.

Grassbandit

Threads
Motoman, the winding mechanism only allows me to turn anticlockwise, there seems to be some cogs on the spool that prevent you from turning it the other way. Nevertheless, i'll try installing the string in the opposite direction and bypass the wind and click system and see what happens.
Here are more pics.DSC_0088[1].jpgDSC_0088[1].jpgDSC_0089[1].jpgDSC_0090[1].jpg

Grassbandit

Threads
Followed you guys' suggestion and wound the string in the opposite direction to the arrow on the spool and the issue still remains.
This one is a head scratcher....I think I might end up replacing the spool altogether.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would just go get a speed feed head.
Just don't get the 400 it is to big for your trimmer.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The notches in the spool are worn, and probably the corresponding part that links with those notches.